Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XP Pro Via epia PD installs but wont run (Read 3063 times) previous topic - next topic

XP Pro Via epia PD installs but wont run

Hi,

Been using foobar for just about forever.  I was recently given a old via epia pd motherboard.  This comes with an embedded x86 compatible cpu ,one pci slot, usb etc  So i decided it would make a great dedicated music player.  I've installed xp pro
everything is working fine using a wifi adaptor to connect to my nas and rest of the network,  have installed my esi prodigy 7.1 pro sound card with no issues, can surf, can install and play music using other music apps (purely as a test e.g. jriver jukebox)  but i want to use my favorite
i.e. foobar.  I've been able to install both the latest build but although it installs it simply refuses to run.  it doesn't crash there is no crash report that i can see but just simply wont run when i click the shortcut.  I have admin privilages so its not related to
my account permission it very frustrating.  I don't want to have to use a different app for music anyone got any ideas or seen a similar issue? appreciate your help.  Long term plan is to run micro xp (ultra small version)  and strip out everything thats not
needed, run the machine without any junk and put it in a little case along with my stax amp.

thanks.

Reply #1
Which service pack have you installed for Windows XP?

Reply #2
Got the same problem with 1.3.8 on windows xp pro service pack 3, running it on an old box with VIA C3 cpu and 128Mb RAM.
Foobar2000 crashes every launch: Illegal operation, Call path not available, crash location: module avcodec-fb2k-56 offset 13AAh.

Reply #3
You both seem to have the same VIA C3 CPU. The compiled ffmpeg is probably trying to use CMOV instruction that's missing from the processor. I tried to compile a version that doesn't have such requirement, can you please test replacing the dlls in the installation with the ones from this zip: [attachment=8243:av-dlls.zip]

Reply #5
The uploaded DLLs contain "Mingw-w64" string so they apparently use Mingw-w64 libraries. Maybe they were built for i686 arch?

Reply #6
The dlls I uploaded previously were configured with extra parameters --cpu=c3 --arch=i586. But the crashdumps show CMOV was still being used. Here's another try with MSVC compiler: [attachment=8244:avdlls_msvc.zip]

Reply #7
As far as I understand it, those DLLs contain code from ffmpeg (compiled with --arch=i586) and from mingw-w64 (compiled for i686). So the resulting DLLs contain CMOV instruction.

Reply #8
Wow!!! Case, thank you very much! It works with new dlls from post #7

*happy*

Reply #9
The unfortunate side effect of building with MSVC is that the resulting decoders lose all their speed advantages over the decoders used prior to importing FFMPEG. This particular issue has existed with MinGW since 2009, when they made the switch from i386 to i686, due to no objections on the mailing list at the time.

It may be possible to redesign the installer to select a set of FFMPEG DLLs from the GCC or MSVC builds, depending on whether the system running the installer reports support for CMOV instructions. I'm not sure if NSIS has an extension to invoke CPUID, but it may be helpful to find one.

Reply #10
This particular issue has existed with MinGW since 2009, when they made the switch from i386 to i686, due to no objections on the mailing list at the time.

Found: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/mingw-cr...9/msg00045.html

The unfortunate side effect of building with MSVC is that the resulting decoders lose all their speed advantages over the decoders used prior to importing FFMPEG.

I measured decoding speed on i7-950 Nehalem.
GCC vs MSVC compiles, x realtime:
AAC-LC:  1093x vs 1027x
AAC-HE:  390x vs 384x
MP3:  704x vs 320x
Vorbis:  822x vs 782x

MP3 decoding is really MUCH slower

Reply #11
I tried building Mingw with different target options before posting the MSVC dlls but that seemed to be beyond my abilities. Kode54's suggestion is technically doable but inflating installer size for this doesn't seem like a good option. Nicest option would be to get GCC environment that didn't force new instructions.

Reply #12
So, system requirements stated at official site are not fully correct:
Operating System
Windows XP - SP2 or newer, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012.
Hardware
Same as required by supported operating systems.