Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: can I stream music to my DLNA receiver using Foobar2000? (Read 23479 times) previous topic - next topic

can I stream music to my DLNA receiver using Foobar2000?

I have a Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver that is DLNA certified. (linked here)  I would like to be able to stream FLAC music files to it via my always-on WHS 2011 server through the Ethernet connection on the receiver.  Or even from one of my PC in the house.  Is this possible with Foobar2000?

Reply #1
I have a Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver that is DLNA certified. (linked here)  I would like to be able to stream FLAC music files to it via my always-on WHS 2011 server through the Ethernet connection on the receiver.  Or even from one of my PC in the house.  Is this possible with Foobar2000?

First of all - not correctly definied question. You should have asked about FLAC files, not general.
Hi, I just had the same issue, and I guess it depends from UPnP renderer, however I was able to play FLAC by using this function:
On UPnP Controller press the button with three dots and choose "Play foobar2000 Playback Stream Capture". Then go to yor regular playlist and just start your song as usual. You can turn volume on local machine down to zero it doesnt matter, but it should send files, even FLAC's to renderer, as I believe in this case it just sends PCM stream, independently of audio format. I tried this with BubbleUPnP and it works, tomorrow i will get new PSU for my raspberry and try this on it. Because previosly me too by using UPnP playlist could not play FLAC's to XMBC, what is a shame.

Reply #2
First of all - not correctly definied question. You should have asked about FLAC files, not general.
Hi, I just had the same issue, and I guess it depends from UPnP renderer, however I was able to play FLAC by using this function:
On UPnP Controller press the button with three dots and choose "Play foobar2000 Playback Stream Capture". Then go to yor regular playlist and just start your song as usual. You can turn volume on local machine down to zero it doesnt matter, but it should send files, even FLAC's to renderer, as I believe in this case it just sends PCM stream, independently of audio format. I tried this with BubbleUPnP and it works, tomorrow i will get new PSU for my raspberry and try this on it. Because previosly me too by using UPnP playlist could not play FLAC's to XMBC, what is a shame.

Well I got Foobar2000 with the DLNA plugin to play to my reciever.  I found a post where the guy showed his setting in Foobar2000 plugin.  http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_upnp

Because the user interface on the receiver is not an LCD type screen that is more intuitive.  It is just the typical letters only display that scroll across the display, and only one line at that.  I forgot what they call this type of display.  But it makes it sort of hard to navigate the Media Library.  I have to have the TV on to see it better.  But I can tell now that I need to organize my media better and also put some tags on it to make navigation better.

I'm not that up to speed with Foobar2000 these days.  About 4 years ago when I had the time I looked into it, and I had it figured out some.  But I'm kind of rusty now on how to set it up best.  And this is a new setup so I've not messed with it much.

Anyway, it was easy and I got it going fairly quickly.  I just needed to find the section in my receivers user manual on how to setup a DLNA server.

It's nice to be able to play the FLAC files that I have over the network wiring to my receiver.  And the sound is way better than the internet radio that I've been listening to with this new receiver.

Reply #3
Are you talking about the same Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver?  You have the TX-NR626?

Reply #4
To stream any audio to my Pioneer N50, I've installed StreamWhatYouHear. (DLNA protocol) Lossy streaming but able to stream anything.

(To stream FLAC and lossless quality I'm using Winamp and Remote speaker plugin (AirPlay protocol). )

Reply #5

Did you resolve this and if so how?