Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack winamp plugin 2.5 alpha 4 available (Read 41232 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack winamp plugin 2.5 alpha 4 available

Reply #25
Thanks David...

Reply #26
I'm a Winamp user and gave this version of the plugin a try. I noticed that when using correction files, even after playback has stopped/moved on to the next song, there's still an open handle left for the .wvc file of a .wv that's played for the first time in that session and have to restart Winamp to free it. On the other hand, if I play it first without the correction file, then again using it, this does not happen, but the playback is still reported as lossy (although the correction file is used and it's actually in lossless mode).

LE: I see there are some open handles left for .wv files as well sometimes. And the tags created through Winamp are not read until the restart of Winamp?  Also, with the Add file(s) to playlist dialogue from the playlist I do have "WavPack File (*.WV)" but if I select "All supported types" .wv files are filtered out. But this may be Winamp issue(s) or something wrong with my install (I'm currently using Winamp v5.53).

The open handles stuff sounds like it is probably in the winamp plugin so I'll take a look there and see what I can come up with. The problem of winamp reporting the wrong mode (lossless/lossy) and bitrate depending on whether the correction file is used is because winamp is storing that in cache and is not aware that the information is out of date. Once you actually play the file it should get refreshed (and the instantaneous bitrate display should be a reliable indication). The other issues you mention sound like winamp issues but I'll try to reproduce them the next time I run Windows. 

And I'd also like to make a feature request, mostly for the Winamp plugin, but might prove useful for unpacking in general - the possibility to store the correction files in a different folder than the .wv file. I'd love this because I'd like to transcode my collection to hybrid mode, keeping the correction files on the server back at home, available through samba when needed, while the songs themselves on the laptop hdd so I can play them anywhere and everywhere and get the benefit of smaller files with unperceivable quality loss to the regular human ear that just needs some music while working.

Yeah, this has been suggested before. I think it's a great idea but I think it would be kind of a nightmare to implement and I just don't have the time these days for something like that (especially trying to make it cross-platform).

BTW, thanks for the post and welcome to the forum! 

Reply #27
Hi David.

Just FYI, Winamp plugin started to keep additional opened handles in one of last alfa versions, after you improved performance of Media library refresh.

But I'm personally don't care about this issue

Mike

Reply #28
Just FYI, Winamp plugin started to keep additional opened handles in one of last alfa versions, after you improved performance of Media library refresh.

But I'm personally don't care about this issue

Yes, this makes sense once I thought about it a little (and looked at the code).

Leaving the files open is how I improved the performance of the Media Library!

Of course, I also hate apps that leave handles open after they close. Does it do that, or does it close up everything when winamp closes? Do other plugins leave handles open?

I will take a look at this soon, but I've got such a full plate now that I might not get to it this weekend. But thanks for the heads-up... 

David

Reply #29
I have added the winamp transcoding API to the WavPack plugin, so now format conversion, CD burning, and Replaygain calculations all work with WavPack files. Also, I added the functions to allow winamp (and other plugins) to write metadata text information to WavPack files. I'm not sure exactly what this buys (other than the ability to write calculated Replaygain info, which is how I tested it) but I'm sure there are plugins that do this.

Note that this does not allow editing the metadata tags directly from winamp (alt+3) unless there's a plugin that implements this through that API.

Here are the changes (relative to version 2.4) with the newest in bold:
  • added transcoding API (allows CD burning, format conversion, Replaygain calc)
  • added API for writing metadata from winamp
  • Unicode support for info box and media library
  • added option to pass multichannel audio to output
  • added option to pass all audio as 16-bit (for better compatibility)
  • added option to output 24-bit audio when ReplayGain is active
  • changed high-resolution output from 32-bit to 24-bit (allows winamp EQ to work, and probably other things)
  • fixed bug that caused the seek bar to sometimes vacillate when moved
  • performance enhancement from 4.41
  • added genre display to info box
download

Thanks...   

David

edit: Latest version is now alpha8; link above has been updated (read below for additional features). This version is now very stable.

Alpha 8 doesn't save metadata files.

Reply #30
Alpha 8 doesn't save metadata files.

What do you mean by this?  What metadata files? 

Thanks,

David

Reply #32
LE: I see there are some open handles left for .wv files as well sometimes. And the tags created through Winamp are not read until the restart of Winamp?  Also, with the Add file(s) to playlist dialogue from the playlist I do have "WavPack File (*.WV)" but if I select "All supported types" .wv files are filtered out. But this may be Winamp issue(s) or something wrong with my install (I'm currently using Winamp v5.53).

I believe that I fixed the open handles issues and the problem where the update did not take effect immediately. This is now in beta available here.

Thanks and sorry for the delay.