Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar DSD Interference Noises (Read 709 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar DSD Interference Noises

Hello everyone,
Unfortunately, I have been having a very annoying and probably not easy to solve problem with the native playback of DSD files via Foobar and my external DAC (Pre Box S2 Digital) connected via USB. My configuration:

Windows 11
Asus Strix X570-E board
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
Foobar 64 bit current version
foo_input_sacd Plugin 1.5.11 (current version)
foo_out_asio+dsd 0.38. (current version)
Project ASIO USB driver 5.68.0 (current version)

With this configuration DSD files can be played back natively without DOP or conversion to PCM. This actually works very well. However, I always hear slight cracking noises, almost like a minimal dropout. Basically, I have configured everything as recommended by the manufacturer and various forums. My standard sound is not set to the ASIO driver and all USB energy saving modes are switched off, as are the system sounds. The ASIO buffer of the project driver is set to "safe" and maximum buffer size. I have already tested everything possible in Foobar. I had also tested the original ASIO plugin instead of the foo_out_asio, but heard the same errors there. I experimented with the output buffer size and thought that setting it to the maximum size would solve the problem, but that was also a fallacy. The controller is currently set to 2000 ms.

But what really surprised me - I experimented with the foo_dsd_processor and set it so that all 44.1 khz files are upsampled to DSD256 and I don't hear a single error! Maybe because DOP is used automatically? At least that's what I understood from the URL "https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/digital/pc-software/foobar-2000-for-dummies-part-3-new-experimental-sacd-plugin-v-0-9-x/".
Incidentally, I bought JRIVER some time ago and never heard a single glitch during DSD playback. But I like Foobar in my setup so much better than the JRIVER software.

Do any of you have any ideas what else I could do - I think it really is a complex problem.

Re: Foobar DSD Interference Noises

Reply #1
Hi,

those strange cliks and pops and noises come from the foo_out_asio+dsd comopnent - that is the case in my config.
The solution is to use ASIO-output 2.2.2 (not foo_out_asio+dsd) plus DSDTransoder (this one comes from the author of foo_out_asio+dsd and foo_input_sacd).

Reply #2
Unless some reason you need ASIO, try a default output labeled "[exclusive]" - (WASAPI event, by default)

Reply #3
...those strange cliks and pops and noises come from the foo_out_asio+dsd comopnent - that is the case in my config.
The solution is to use ASIO-output 2.2.2 (not foo_out_asio+dsd) plus DSDTransoder ....

Hello, I had already tested this with the standard Asio plugin but without the transcoder and therefore no native DSD playback. However, I also had the same noise here.

Reply #4
Unless some reason you need ASIO, try a default output labeled "[exclusive]" - (WASAPI event, by default)
Hello, thank you very much, but would that make sense, since I am controlling the ASIO driver of the DAC manufacturer and that only works via ASIO, right? I have several albums in DSD format that I would like to listen to without any conversion.