Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Different Cue Sheets And How To Split Image+Cue To Individual Tracks? (Read 9033 times) previous topic - next topic

Different Cue Sheets And How To Split Image+Cue To Individual Tracks?

I ripped a few CDs with EAC and CUERipper but some of the cue files are slightly different (for the same CD). On some, some of the "INDEX 00" entries are missing off the CUERipper cue sheet but present on the EAC one. On others the times are slightly out. For example:

TRACK 13 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 38:05:16 <--
    INDEX 01 38:07:16

vs.

TRACK 13 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 38:05:17 <--
    INDEX 01 38:07:16

I used shntool to split the image with both versions of the cue sheet (that the extractons above are from) and they produced identical files. Does shntool put the gaps at the end of the previous track or the start of the next track? If I want gaps on the previous track (and am not planning to burn them to CD again) does the INDEX 00 time make any difference?

Re: Different Cue Sheets And How To Split Image+Cue To Individual Tracks?

Reply #1
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_Drive_Options#Gap_Detection
This section of the article explains that the Index 01 values come from the CD's table of contents so they are known. The Index 00 values for between-song gaps are stored in the disc's subcode so they need to be detected. This section also explains that the goal is reasonable gap values detected in a reasonable amount of scanning time and that the detected values may not be 100% correct. Scratches, defects, other damage, manufacturing, software, and hardware can all influence detection accuracy.

Programs will usually split Image+Cue into individual tracks using the Index 01 values only by default so each Index 01 is the start of each file and the between-song gap, if any, will be at the end. Some programs ignore Index 00 values completely while others do have options to move the gaps to the beginning of the next file or to remove them completely. At this time I can't answer which options, if any, shntool offers.
korth

Re: Different Cue Sheets And How To Split Image+Cue To Individual Tracks?

Reply #2
Thanks for the information. The only difference in the cue sheets is the INDEX 00. Since shntool outputs the same files when splitting with different INDEX 00 values I guess I'm OK to ignore them!