Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ReplayGain: Album gain/peak values may not be equal for all tracks in album (Read 675 times) previous topic - next topic

ReplayGain: Album gain/peak values may not be equal for all tracks in album

As a newbie in relation to both fb2000 and ReplayGain, I find what follows to be a bit of a puzzle... When I look at the results of an RG scan, I can see that, for most albums, all the album peak values displayed against the tracks of a given album are equal, and so are all the album gain values. This is exactly what I would expect if I understand RG correctly. However, there are a few albums for which this does not seem to apply. For such an album, some or all of the tracks within it yield different album peak values and correspondingly different album gain values. Does this make any sense? Surely an album can have only one overall peak and only one average gain applied?

Re: ReplayGain: Album gain/peak values may not be equal for all tracks in album

Reply #1
If you used the "Scan selection as albums (by tags)" ReplayGain method it is possible to get differing values if the tags don't match. The scanner by default uses %album artist%, %date% and %album% tags to group albums together so a difference in any of these three fields would result the track to be treated as being from a different album.

Once you fix any differences in these tags I'm sure the album gain values will get consistent. Or if necessary, you can customize the grouping pattern in Preferences -> Advanced -> Tools -> ReplayGain Scanner -> Album grouping pattern. I personally use a stricter separation and have %discnumber% in the grouping pattern too so each disc in a multi-disc set has its own gain value.

Re: ReplayGain: Album gain/peak values may not be equal for all tracks in album

Reply #2
Thanks Case - I think you've hit the nail right on the head!