Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Connecting a turntable to active monitors? (Read 2511 times) previous topic - next topic

Connecting a turntable to active monitors?

Hi,

I currently have my PC for listening to FLAC rips plugged into a Presonus Audiobox USB 22VSL which then feeds either headphones or a pair of active monitors.

The 22VSL only has 2 XLR Mic/Instrument line input on the front and from what I have read I am confused about how i'd connect a turntable to this set up.

I know turntables exist with built in pre-amps to take the phono to line level, or external pre amps are available to do the same thing... But im still not sure if the 22VSL could even take the line level into the instrument inputs?

I have read that with a turntable that has a phono preamp or external phono preamp, I could use a cable like this and match the input gain on each line in on the 22VSL, then playback via direct monitor on the 22VSL, or through the PC.

Of course I could just USB a turntable into the PC and playback through the 22VSL but wanted to know my options.

Id really like to continue using my audio interface > active monitor set up rather than investing in a nice Hi-Fi set up from the likes of Cambridge Audio just yet.
Life-long Music Collection: 747GB / 25,646 Tracks & COUNTING! - 99% Lossless FLAC

Re: Connecting a turntable to active monitors?

Reply #1
I know turntables exist with built in pre-amps to take the phono to line level, or external pre amps are available to do the same thing... But im still not sure if the 22VSL could even take the line level into the instrument inputs?

Quote from: 22VSL's user manual
Active instruments are those that have an internal preamp or a line-level output. Active instruments should be plugged into a line input rather than into an instrument input. Plugging a line-level source into the instrument inputs on the front of the AudioBox 22/44VSL not only risks damage to these inputs but also results in a very loud and often distorted audio signal.
The manual basically says "Don't do that". If you still want to try, turn the input gain to minimum and slowly turn it up to find the optimal volume level, but you've been warned.

Reply #2
Unless the monitors include RIAA equalization, you will somehow need to do this with any turntable that doesn't include a built-in preamp.

Reply #3
The manual basically says "Don't do that". If you still want to try, turn the input gain to minimum and slowly turn it up to find the optimal volume level, but you've been warned.
To be safe you probably want a phono pre-amp stage with adjustable gain.  Many USB/line-level turntables do not have this and, depending on the output level of the cartridge, the processed signal may already be clipped before it leaves the turntable.  Here's an old topic where the issue is discussed:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,69453.0.html

Consider using something like this inexpensive phono pre-amp which gives you output level control and will work with any turntable having a moving-magnet cartridge and the RCA-to-TS cables already linked:
https://www.amazon.com/TC-750LC-BLACK-Professional-Moving-Magnet/dp/B000A36XZS

Reply #4
So, I'm assuming you don't already have a turntable?    But, you do have some records you want to play?

Of course I could just USB a turntable into the PC and playback through the 22VSL but wanted to know my options.
That's probably the best way to go.    Or if you buy a phono preamp it's not not much more money (or maybe no more money) to buy a USB interface with a phono preamp built-in.

And/or go-ahead and digitize the records.

Since USB turntables always have a preamp, most USB turntables also have line-level analog outputs if you wanted that future flexibility.

Knowzy.com has lots of USB turntable reviews & recommendations.