Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to disable mp3 tag writing? (Read 3045 times) previous topic - next topic

How to disable mp3 tag writing?

I am a part of the ***** trading society (see ******) which relies heavily on the fact that no user may trade a rip of a cd that has changed since the original member ripped the CD with EAC. If the md5 checksum shows that any shared album is changed you are kicked out. This is of course a good thing since it ensures dependable quality, but since having used Foobar on a number of albums I realized from some upset mails I got that something had been changed in the mp3 files I had played with foobar. I have since realized that replaygain store information in the id3 tag about settings and concluded that this is probably the problem. Having switched back to replaygain disabled status, which is sad - I love replaygain, in the pref dialog and palyed a few albums the md5 check of these albums show that something is still changed when playing through Foobar. Thus my questions are:
1  Is it possible to switch of completely writing or amending files by foobar?
  Of course it's my fault that I hadn't realized that replaygain writes info in mp3 tag, but
2 why isn't the write protection status in windows, which is of course on for all my shared files, respected by Foobar / Replaygain?
3 Is it conceivable that perhaps a future version of replaygain could store gain info outside of the actual file, in it's own database or foobar's for example?
4 Is there already such a version? Or perhaps
5  there is a similar program to replaygain that allows for this?

Sorry for the long-winded question but preseving file integrity is extremely important to almost all file traders so perhaps this is a relevant question to more people than me?

/ Jakob

MOD.: no links to or names of sharing groups, thank you.

Reply #1
I think you would benefit from disabling the databse you mp3 pirate you.

Reply #2
ah so, herr filesharer, i just checked, fb2k does obey "read-only" status of file (perhaps having id3v2 plugin installed breaks it somehow)
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.