Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DSP to normalize volume (Read 3735 times) previous topic - next topic

DSP to normalize volume

I would like to compare sound quality while listening two different equalizer setup, even if I will use auto level volume in equalizer there are difference in volume. Are there any DSP which could normalize volume to same level for different equalizer setups?

DSP to normalize volume

Reply #1
Naturally, the volume will differ in different parts of the spectrum.

The auto level isn't designed to maintain equal volume, more to reduce the likelihood of clipping.

You could try using the EQ DSP (and Advanced Limiter to completely eliminate clipping) in the Converter, and output to lossless. Then scan each lossless EQ'd file with Replay Gain (each file separately, or just Track Gain). That would make roughly equal perceived volume, and you could then audition the two settings with any further EQ disabled in Track Gain mode.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

DSP to normalize volume

Reply #2
I am not a sound expert, and this is not my language, and these may be two major reasons for my question to seem silly. I saw that the AutoLevel feature in the equalizer brings to zero level the higher value for a given setting of mine, thus lowering the audio volume (provided there is at least one >0 value). I think, and this is the reason for I answer the thread, that I would feel a normalized volume if the AutoVolume brings the levels so that they sum zero.
Example: if I set three levels to: -1, +7 and +3, the AutoLevel could bring them respectively to -4, +4 and 0, maintining the original proportions (or have the cursors a logaritmic scale?).
I am not sure, but I think that I would "feel" a similar volume with different settings, if each of them was brought to have a zero sum result.
If this is not a stupid idea of mine, this could be a suggestion for future FooBar releases.
Another suggestion could be that I could select more than one cursor in order to move them together.
Thanks to you all.
Riccardo

DSP to normalize volume

Reply #3
The whole idea of AutoLevel, surely, is to reduce the likelihood of clipping. Generally, by avoiding positive values, the average sound level will be lowered. Unfortunately, this doesn't always work as by changing the spectrum the peak excursion could easily increase, especially if the original sound is already clipped, though chances are that such clipping would be brief and inaudible just like clipping in lossy decoding such as MP3 files made from clipped, dynamically compressed modern CDs.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD