Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FreeDB tagger always overrides "COMMENT" tag even if it's empty (Read 611 times) previous topic - next topic

FreeDB tagger always overrides "COMMENT" tag even if it's empty

I think there are two issues.

The first one is, sometimes FreeDB data will have hidden album-level comments that doesn't show up in the UI.

The above data retrieved from Japanese freeDB server actually has comment tag of " YEAR: 2018", but as you can see here, I can't see or edit it before applying to files.

Keep in mind this is different from the track-specific comments you can edit in this dialog. If I add any comment for any track (after track name) there, it will just add them *together* later to comments (comments will become " YEAR: 2018; whatever_I_added").

The second problem is, even if there is no comment (I assume it returns empty string), it will still override existing comments in metadata, effectively remove them. It's quite annoying since I often store some information there.

It also happens for other album-level fields, but they're less likely to be blank to cause issue. One exception is "YEAR" (which will be projected to "DATE" field later), if you leave it blank, it will NOT override your existing DATE.

---

(By the way, I noticed that when retrieving data, only the highlighted server in server list in settings will be used, not both I have. Is this by design?)