Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Presonus Audiobox 22VSL (Read 1788 times) previous topic - next topic

Presonus Audiobox 22VSL

I already have one of these since I am a guitarist and do some home recording. I use it as my main output device to a set of M-Audio BX5's (Soon to be BX8's) and Shure SRH840 headphones.

Is there any benefit in getting a quality USB DAC or is this already a good piece of audio hardware for playback? I am listening to FLAC rips, 16bit 44.1. From what I can see when comparing it to the CA DAC Magic 100, the only benefit would be it supports 192Khz sample rate.... But that doesn't really matter since I have no content in 96Khz... let alone 192.

Here are the tech specs:

Host Interface   USB 2.0 high-speed
Bit Depth   24-bit
Sample Rates   44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz
Maximum Latency   6 mS, analog input to analog output
ADC Dynamic Range   114 dB, 48 kHz sample rate, A-wtd
DAC Dynamic Range   114 dB, 48 kHz sample rate, A-wtd

Headphone Outputs

Connector Type   ¼” TRS, female, stereo
Maximum Power   30 mW/ch @ 60Ω load
Frequency Response   20 Hz - 20 kHz, ±0.5 dB, max gain
THD+N   0.08%, 1 kHz, max gain, 20 kHz BW, A-wtd
S/N Ratio   90 dB, 1 kHz, max gain, 20 kHz BW, unwtd

Analog Outputs
Connector Type   ¼” TRS, female, impedance balanced
Frequency Response   20 Hz - 20 kHz, ±0.2 dB
THD+N   0.002%, 1 kHz, 20 kHz BW, A-wtd
S/N Ratio   107 dB, 1 kHz, max gain, 20 kHz BW, unwtd
Output Level   +10 dBu
Output Impedance   51Ω

Thanks!
Life-long Music Collection: 747GB / 25,646 Tracks & COUNTING! - 99% Lossless FLAC

Re: Presonus Audiobox 22VSL

Reply #1
Does it play loud enough for you? If so, there is likely no difference to be found going to another USB DAC.

Don't worry about the higher sample rates, it doesn't matter for music.

Reply #2
I agree, if those headphones are sensitive enough - e.g. volume is OK, then you are done with your setup. 48 kHz with 114 dB DAC is completely OK for your purpose (native 44.1 kHz support is important and 96 kHz support is OK but as written above does not matter for music), provided that analog part of the device is well done.

Reply #3
Thanks all,

Indeed the device goes more than loud enough. The analogue outs put out plenty of signal to my Active Monitors and headphones also go plenty loud. It has a built in headphone amp and it works very well with the Shure SRH840's.
Life-long Music Collection: 747GB / 25,646 Tracks & COUNTING! - 99% Lossless FLAC

Reply #4
A DAC doesn't necessarily need native 44.1 for transparent playback as this can also be accomplished through competently written software (which includes foobar2000 without the need for any additional add-ons*).  I see no reason to believe that transparent resampling can't also be accomplished within a non-native 44.1k DAC for that matter, either!

(*) people are welcome to supply TOS8-compliant evidence demonstrating otherwise.

Reply #5
By native (maybe that word was not chosen well) 44.1 support I meant at least how it is handled by Realtek DACs (tested here some time ago https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,111980.msg922878.html#msg922878 ) or how it is handled by more advanced DACs like Cirrus Logic CS 4398 (Xonar U7) or PCM5142 (Fiio X1). I have good experience with those DACs and CD (16/44.1 playback) also consulted here that is why recommended it. The DAC that was asked for in the original question seems to have that good level of support. I agree that it is not a strict neccessity and can be also accomplished by competent software.