Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Different mp3 encoder value in "Audio Properties" and " (Read 7885 times) previous topic - next topic

Different mp3 encoder value in "Audio Properties" and "

Hi

I'm using dbPoweramp and I just tried converting (by right clicking on the file) a FLAC to mp3.  I was trying different bit rates so that i could do some ABX comparing.

I've noticed that when converting to mp3 I'm getting different things in "Audio Properties" and "ID-Tag" in WIndows (I'm on XP). For example, in the Music Converter I chose -V 7.  In the resulting mp3 the "Audio Properties" say it is -V 5, while "ID-Tag" says it is -V 7.

Is this expected behaviour?

Cheers

Max

Reply #1
Normal quality was selected?

Reply #2
No, I selected Slow....

Reply #3
Then the profile is possibly changed internally in lame, try with normal.

Reply #4
OK, I'll try that as soon as I can and will report back with results.  I'll also try encoding via CD Ripper (rather than Music Converter) and see if the same thing happens. 

If Normal does not cause the same "error", should I stick with normal for ALL encoding?  Will I then be producing mp3s of a lesser quality (compared to if I was using "slow")? 

the profile is possibly changed internally in lame

If that is the case, is it to be expected or a bug? 

Cheers

Reply #5
What LAME version do you use, 3.100 alpha 2 ?

Reply #6
What LAME version do you use, 3.100 alpha 2 ?

No, I'm using 3.99.5.... 

Thanks for the reply.  Hope to hear more from you (or anyone else) about why this is happening. 

Cheers, much appreciated.

Reply #7
Is the audio properties in windows simply guessing based on average bit rate of file vs using the tag info.

Reply #8
I do not think it is guessing, it should be from the lame header

Reply #9
Hi all

I have tried it with "Normal" instead of "Slow".  The same thing happens.  No change. 

I then tried ripping using CD Ripper (instead of converting with MC).  Again, the same results.

Anyone got any ideas?

Ta

Max 

Reply #10
the profile is possibly changed internally in lame

If that is the case, is it to be expected or a bug? 

That's normal 3.99.x behavior, it resamples at lower sample rate and switches to a better psy model profile (value 5.63 in this case). The header stores integer values only, so it says 5.

Reply #11
Seems to be Lame 3.99.5 related, I encode a file:

Lame.exe -V 7 "z:\a.wav" "z:\a.mp3"

and even foobar says it is -V 5 on the profile.

Reply #12
That's normal 3.99.x behavior, it resamples at lower sample rate and switches to a better psy model profile (value 5.63 in this case). The header stores integer values only, so it says 5.

Not entirely sure I understand, but glad to hear it's normal!  Am I correct in saying it has something to do with the fact that these mega compressed mp3s are not 41000?  In which case, will all encoder settings that ARE 41000 show up as normal? 

[Moderator - title should read Different mp3 encoder value in "Audio Properties" and "ID-Tag"  Any chance f amending it as I seemed to have cropped it somehow.  Cheers.]

Reply #13
It's too long for the title, you didn't crop it.

Edit: Hmm, maybe not, I assumed it was an auto cropping

Reply #14
It's too long for the title, you didn't crop it.

Edit: Hmm, maybe not, I assumed it was an auto cropping

That's what I thought to begin with, but then I noticed I had much longer titles for other posts.  Never mind, no biggie.  Just did not think it made great sense cropped as it is.....

Anyhow, hopefully Robert (or someone) will pop by to confirm the presumption of the previous post I made.  Then that will be that sorted.... 

Cheers

Reply #15
That's what I thought to begin with, but then I noticed I had much longer titles for other posts.

Quotation marks take more space than one character. You can try “smart quotes” next time ... or as you added, "never mind".