Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how to install LAME or similar codec for noobs (Read 130559 times) previous topic - next topic

how to install LAME or similar codec for noobs

Hello all,

basically i am a noob when it comes to programming. i can hardly do anything on my windows machine apart from clicking here and there, never used command line.

can someone please guide me how to install LAME or similar mp3 encoder on my machine? basically i want mp3 encoding option to show up on my recording software.

Thanks for understanding and all your help.

Re: how to install LAME or similar codec for noobs

Reply #1
basically i want mp3 encoding option to show up on my recording software.
You'll need to tell us what recording software you are using.  Every program is different in where it expects an MP3 encoder to be located.

Reply #2

You'll need to tell us what recording software you are using.  Every program is different in where it expects an MP3 encoder to be located.

i am using camstudio for recording screen. i will also be needing a a video editor later to do some splitting/chopping etc, but haven't decided which one will be the best, and am open for suggestion's/recommendations but as far as possible i would like to stick with open source and free editors.

regards

Reply #3
MP3 is not commonly used with video.

As far as I know, you still can't download a "working" version of LAME from the official LAME website.   They supply the source code which has to be compiled to make the EXE & DLL files.

RareWares.org has the EXE & DLL files, plus a GUI front-end called LameDrop.

If I just want to convert a WAV file to MP3, or make other audio conversions I use TAudioConverter.

Both of those programs can "extract" the audio from an A/V file and make an MP3 (or other audio format).

Audacity can also make MP3s.

There is a powerful FREE audio/video converter called Xmedia Recode.   I'm not sure if it uses LAME but it can make MP3s.

Reply #4
Actually i am trying to follow the instructions from this video tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiug3H3c4gk

from 3:30 onwards he explains how to install lame. Since it is a old video, the site where he downloads it from (audacity) , the file is not available anymore. So I tried similar files from rarewares but cannot install it.

Reply #5
for example i downloaded LAME 3.99.5 ACM codec from  http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-dshow-acm.php and installed it the same way as shown in video. but then it doesnt shows up in camstudio options anyways. (I am using windows 10 64 bit).

Reply #6
installed it the same way as shown in video
Did you follow directions in the included "HOWTO Install LAME-ACM on x64" file?
Code: [Select]
How to install on Win7 x64:
1.       Extract it to for example c:\lame
2.       Run cmd with admin rights (ctrl+shift+return)
3.       cd %windir%\SysWOW64
4.       rundll32 setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 C:\lame\LameACM.inf
(Thanks to Markus Stein.)
You may need to reboot your PC after doing this.

Reply #7
yes i tried both the 32bit and 64bit method(although i am on windows 10 and not 7). None seems to be working

Reply #8
Usually if you want help it's a good idea to explain how something isn't working.

Reply #9
Usually if you want help it's a good idea to explain how something isn't working.

the encoder option is not showing up in the camstudio options. I have realized that a big contribution to the camstudio vid size is coming from audio part. Hence i want a good audio encoder there. This is the current list of audio encoders it is showing

After installing klite megacodec (and checking the LAME MP3 install box, among other things), i can now see the mpeg layer 3 encoder but still not LAME.

Reply #10
UPDATE:

After changing the input recording frequency I can also see the AC3 ACM codec, but LAME MP3 still not to be found anywhere.

Reply #11
After installing klite megacodec (and checking the LAME MP3 install box, among other things), i can now see the mpeg layer 3 encoder but still not LAME.
If MPEG Layer 3 appeared right after you've installed k-lite codec pack, and the LAME encoder is included in the pack, don't you think this is the option you're looking for? After all, "MPEG Layer 3" is MP3.

Reply #12

If MPEG Layer 3 appeared right after you've installed k-lite codec pack, and the LAME encoder is included in the pack, don't you think this is the option you're looking for? After all, "MPEG Layer 3" is MP3.

Actually I didnt knew that.  :))  :o  :))  Sorry I already mentioned i am a noob at such things. If its indeed so then my problem is solved now. Thanks everyone for help. much appreciated.

Actually i make tutorials for youtube and my videos are usually pretty long around around 1 hour. and the size of the videos i record are huge and at some point things started to blow out of proportion, thats when somebody suggested me using camstudio and looking for good encoders. After some search it seemed to me the LAME MP3 is best for reducing size while also maintaing good quality. Eventually after some difficulties locating and installing the encoders I landed here.
[/quote]

Reply #14
Looking at the YouTube specs:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/4603579

Why use MP3 when what they want is MP2, AC-3, or AAC?

MP3 is not commonly used with video.

Actually i am more concerned with the file size on my disc and the time it takes to upload the video. And youtube supports mp3 too. so its ok.
For my tutorial purpose i am only interested in reducing the file size as much as possible. and keeping a decent enough video quality.

Reply #15
A looong time ago, I used to make computer tutorials on my native language too. I would recommend you to try out OBS for screen recording, it's the best thing out there at the moment.

Looking at the YouTube specs:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/4603579

Why use MP3 when what they want is MP2, AC-3, or AAC?
YouTube doesn't care much about the format, as long as ffmpeg can decode it will work. These formats/bitrates are recommended for the final product to try and maintain a certain threshold of quality on the platform, I believe.

Reply #16
A looong time ago, I used to make computer tutorials on my native language too. I would recommend you to try out OBS for screen recording, it's the best thing out there at the moment.

Thanks Metapixel. I will check out OBS then. Is the website https://obsproject.com/ correct? Is there also any recommendation on any specific encoder for compressing the video part?

Reply #17
Actually i am more concerned with the file size on my disc and the time it takes to upload the video. And youtube supports mp3 too. so its ok.
For my tutorial purpose i am only interested in reducing the file size as much as possible. and keeping a decent enough video quality.
Two points -

MP3 isn't necessarily smaller than MP4 ( AAC) or any other compressed format.   The space/file size is determined by the bitrate (kbps).    kbps is kilobits per second, and if you know there are 8 bits in a byte you can divide by 8 to get the kilobytes per second.   You already know there are 60 seconds in a minute, so it's not hard to calculate the file size from the bitrate & playing time. 

Of course, 224kbps MP3 is the same size as a 224kbps MP4.  ;)

The Video usually takes-up more space than the audio.   Usually, an audio/video file isn't significantly bigger even if you use uncompressed audio (depending on the video format/bitrate and the audio resolution, etc.)    Video bitrates are often expressed in Mbps, and again you can calculate the file size by dividing by 8.   

The total bitrate (and file size) is simply the combined audio & video bitrates.  

Reply #18
A 30 second video recording now takes 2.42 mb. with MPEG LAYER 3. It is already a improvement.  Can it be improved further?

Reply #19
Just realized youtube is unable to process the video. Probably because of the fancy 'screenpressor' video codec i used.

Any suggestions on a good space saving video codec? The list currently shows the following codecs.

I have also heard of DivX. but not sure if that is the best at compressing.

Reply #20
A 30 second video recording now takes 2.42 mb. with MPEG LAYER 3. It is already a improvement.  Can it be improved further?
Most of that is VIDEO. MP3 is only for the AUDIO.   What's your MP3 AUDIO audio bitrate?

The audio is probably about 15% of that.  So, if you remove the audio completely it would probably be 15% smaller.   Or, cut the audio bitrate in half and make it 7% smaller, etc.

If you want a significantly smaller file you'll probably have to use more VIDEO compression (reduce the video bitrate).

That's 4.84MB per minute which (if I've done my calculations correctly, please check) is a combined audio/video bitrate of about 650kbps.

Just realized youtube is unable to process the video. Probably because of the fancy 'screenpressor' video codec i used.
Supported YouTube Formats.

Any suggestions on a good space saving video codec?
Again, file size is determined by the bitrate and playing time, NOT the format.    MPEG-4 is one of the more efficient formats (good quality size for a given bitrate/file size) but I'm not sure it's the "best".  

P.S
I suspect you're fighting a loosing battle and by the time you're done over-compressing the audio & video you're probably going to end-up with poor audio & video quality that you're not happy with.   And, since YouTube is generally going to convert/recompress your files, the final YouTube quality will probably be even worse than what you upload.

Reply #21
P.S
I suspect you're fighting a loosing battle and by the time you're done over-compressing the audio & video you're probably going to end-up with poor audio & video quality that you're not happy with.   And, since YouTube is generally going to convert/recompress your files, the final YouTube quality will probably be even worse than what you upload.

Trust me. I always win. 8) I am different that way.