Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPhone/iPad dock with turntable inputs? (Read 6395 times) previous topic - next topic

iPhone/iPad dock with turntable inputs?

Is there an all-in-one (or even one with separate speakers) iPhone/iPod/iPad speaker dock with inputs for an analog turntable?

Reply #1
No. Your best bet would be to find a device with a regular "aux" input (aka "line in") and connect a phono preamp to it as an intermediate adapter, assuming the turntable you have uses a traditional, magnetic cartridge. Some TTs, these days, have a built-in phono preamp so they could connect to a line level in directly.

Here's an example of a small, affordable phono preamp, if you need one:
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-PP400-Ultr...ds=phono+preamp

Reply #2
No. Your best bet would be to find a device with a regular "aux" input (aka "line in") and connect a phono preamp to it as an intermediate adapter, assuming the turntable you have uses a traditional, magnetic cartridge. Some TTs, these days, have a built-in phono preamp so they could connect to a line level in directly.

Right. Thanks. That's what I'd probably do. Just asking for a friend of the family who was curious if there was such beast.

Reply #3
I've never seen one of these and I doubt there's much of a market - The guy who wants tinny "dock"-style speakers to play MP3s on isn't the same guy who has invested the time, money, and shelf space on vinyl.

...And if it is the same guy, he's already got a proper stereo receiver with both phono and line level inputs ! 

Reply #4
The guy who wants tinny "dock"-style speakers to play MP3s on isn't the same guy who has invested the time, money, and shelf space on vinyl.

...And if it is the same guy, he's already got a proper stereo receiver with both phono and line level inputs ! 

I get your point. However, the presence of a vinyl record collection in a home doesn't necessarily indicate they are an audiophile. There are folks who just always had records and cassettes from before CDs and digital audio existed. But now they have iPods too, and want to listen to all of them and haven't bothered with digitizing their old collections. This is the case with this particular family friend for whom I am inquiring.