Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Equalize volume of multiple files (no MP3Gain) (Read 2901 times) previous topic - next topic

Equalize volume of multiple files (no MP3Gain)

I want to equalize volume of multiple MP3 files to listen to them in a car, but the CD player does not recognize changes I do in MP3 Gain too well (have an impression numerous folders are normalized differently, although I choose by Track option). Moreless, some files crepitate (not sure if that's the right English word). Any way to change volume in the files themselves in bulk, not just add tags?

Re: Equalize volume of multiple files (no MP3Gain)

Reply #1
Are you using the application named "MP3Gain", or you simply use a software that has replaygain support?

If the player does not explicitly support replaygain (as would be most CD car players), then you need the files themselves to be modified, and that's what the application MP3Gain does.
There are other tools that can also do this, but not by default. For example, with foobar2000, the option is hidden (apply gain to files) by default and only the replaygain option is visible.

Reply #3
Yeah... MP3Gain changes the actual volume in the file, so the CD/MP3 player doesn't have to "recognize" anything.

If you are not satisfied with MP3Gain, you might try adjusting the volumes "manually" by ear with MP3DirectCut.    That will take some time and you'll have to choose a standard reference track.  You might want to only  adjust the ones that need it after  applying MP3Gain.  And, a few songs will always be a little too-quiet unless you push the peaks into clipping.

Oh...  It's usually best to leave the default MP3Gain volume of 89dB.  If you increase the MP3 target volume and you don't allow clipping, you are not leaving MP3Gain enough "room to work" and fewer songs will be adjusted.    Even with the default, some  songs can't be adjusted-up without clipping (or can't be adjusted enough  to hit 89dB).

Reply #4
First, let us get this clear:
some files crepitate (not sure if that's the right English word).
Make a crackling sound - you mean they sound distorted? That could be a sign that they need further reduction?

Try to ReplayGain-scan your files after having applied MP3Gain - say, in foobar2000; are peaks above 1?

Reply #5
I think you might try adjusting the volumes "manually"...