Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hardware support for mpc (in the future)? (Read 2678 times) previous topic - next topic

Hardware support for mpc (in the future)?

Will mpc ever see any kind of hardware support?

Until recently I've been encoding everything with LAME --alt-preset standard.  But now it looks like mpc --quality 5 is the way to go for what I want (in terms of quality/bitrate).  But I like the hardware support that mp3 has.  As I'm about to encode my entire CD library (not a quick task), it's hard to decide.  I like all the other good stuff about mpc (besides the great quality/bitrate), but none of that is too important to me.

Thanks,

Covak

Reply #1
This probably comes up every now and then, but I guess the main answer is 'probably never anything substantial'.

Reply #2
Use LAME if you want portability. MPC is a niche codec.
Besides MP3, serious candidates for portability are WMA, mp3PRO, AAC and Ogg Vorbis.

Reply #3
i think we dont have to worry.. players with open source firmwares will come, i am pretty sure about that...

Reply #4
I store everything in MPC, then transcode for my portable. That's the way to go. MPC transcodes amazingly well, too.