Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Song original release date in tags, (Read 2667 times) previous topic - next topic

Song original release date in tags,

Hello folks. How do you recommend that I tag the original release year of individual tracks in a compilation album with the Comment field already taken* and not using the main song title?

I've got image flac files with embedded and external cuesheets from Cueripper.
*. Something that I tried but the track comment overrides the album comment when both are present.

Reply #1
You have to use tags for that, not cue files (they are standardised, and you can't do with them what you want), creating custom tag and setting your applications to read them and display them where you want it to be displayed - TORY in v2.3, TDOR in 2.4 -> Original release year
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #2
What's another tag (other than the comment field) available for specific track data and is it usable in a CD image rip?
Thanks!

Reply #3
Assuming that “a CD image rip” refers to a single audio file with an accompanying cuesheet, the latter are not designed as storehouses of metadata. You get a few fairly basic standard fields, and EAC added a few others in REM statements that foobar2000 honours alongside ReplayGain while not allowing any other arbitrary names. Data in REM lines are likely to be limited to visual inspection with a text editor.

fb2k might allow monolithic images to be tagged with fields targeted to particular tracks (I recall seeing something like CUE_TRACK_1_TITLE in the past), but those are likely to be even less supported by other applications than data in REM lines.

Your choices, I guess, are to store extra things in REM statements, to tag the audio files themselves, or to use some hypothetical extensible external playlist format. I suspect the majority recommendation will be the second of these options.

FWIW, I too would have liked a well-supported extension to cuesheets allowing arbitrary metadata, which could have been as simple as picking a convention of the form ‘REM FIELD_NAME Field data goes here”. However, nothing appears to be forthcoming. The rationale that they weren’t designed for anything besides reproducing layouts is often cited but seems scarcely relevant to me. They’re a handy format for storage and playback of images, at least with the availability of good prorams (players, burners, and so on) supporting them. So, it would be nice if said programs. would add decent support for extra metadata into the mix. But oh well!