Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The Successor to foo_dop? (Read 3040 times) previous topic - next topic

The Successor to foo_dop?

Can someone provide me a link to the successor to foo_dop? Since it's apparently not being worked on anymore, and is completely broken when mobile device/iPod Touch support is enabled (throws a "Function Not Found" error for AMDeviceICantReadTheEntireString, then crashes about 500ms after popping up the dialog so I can't even read the dialog properly).

There has to be a successor at least planned by now, because I really doubt that demand is low.

Reply #1
No one has announced such a successor. The fact that a lot of people want something does not mean it exists. Many people ask for a new component, but I cannot recall anyone taking steps to develop one. If they are, they would probably have admitted it by now, unless they intend to surprise everyone, but assuming the latter might just lead to disappointment.

Reply #2
OP should also recognize that people who develop components for foobar generally aren't getting paid for doing so, apart from the rare paypal donation here or there.

Consider too how difficult and time consuming it must be to develop a component to work/interface with the closed, proprietary, and ever-changing world of "i" devices.

I reckon part of the reason foo_dop is no longer actively developed has something to do with the above.

Reply #3
Well, maybe, but the more overarching reason is the fact that its developer hasn’t been seen on the forum or anywhere else since late in 2011. Separate from that, yes, I wouldn’t blame them for losing patience with Apple and their extremely closed ecosystems.

Reply #4
whilst it's true that apple have done everything in their power to break 3rd party software with each update of their own, no developer has ever shown any interest in making a conversion/copy tool for non apple devices either. that's more straight forward because you're either dealing with the standard filesystem or MTP which i assume is documented somewhere? that request comes up occasionally and it's always greeted with a wall of silence from people around here.