Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Extremly short interlaced story (EU 2014) (Read 3154 times) previous topic - next topic

Extremly short interlaced story (EU 2014)

# Extremly short interlaced story (EU 2014)

## Don't interlace me

### HD case 1 < do not!
- a. shoot in 50i
- b. edit, backup in 50i
- c. transmit in 50i
- d. 99.99% chance is that HOME TV is the kind that will have to do some sort of
DEINTERLACING, since we are talking about PROGRESSIVE screens.
- e. Will you post the copy on the web interlaced as well?

### HD case 2 < do yes!
- a. shoot in 25p or 50p (25p should cover 95% of any regular boring broadcast, drama, film-like stuff, documentary, etc)
- b. edit, backup in 25/50p
- c. transmit in 50i, since for some reason this is a broadcast stream format at this point in time. (25p should fit nicely here, while for 50p>50i you will have to do some thinkering (oh no!!!))
- e. Post on web as 25p or 50p or 50p>25p (another point of thinkering, do I want some artifical motion-blur here?).

#### people against case 2
- Q1: but, but, we have this expensive 50i tech now! It's called ergonomics. Who is going to pay for the upgrade to 50p? the routing infrastructure, graphics, etc, let alone the cameras?
- A1: a. shoot in 25p then b. This is how-to-do-it, not a freaking political/cost debate.
- Q2: Go and watch a war report in iraq in 25p, it doesn't look real, it looks like a film, a film is not the news.
- A2: I disagree, 25p looks like a film if: a. is shoot on film, b. if the digital intermediate was processed with a film-like LUT.

#### people for case 2
- interlacing is the devil, search your feelings, you know it to be true.

The End.

SmartyPants,

---------------------

Do "we" agree, if not, why not? Anything to add/remove? (as short as possible)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #1
It'll be UHD/4k p50 with HDR before you know it. Hence few pros will bother replacing 50i with 50p in HD. They can already do 1080p25 wth that equipment. Some will even wait for 100fps UHD.

I prefer 50p over 50i for my own use, but as long as you have the time and ability to perform reasonable deinterlacing for the web, 50i is still good enough. Afaik there are no 50p broadcasts, and the web is too low a bitrate for the deinterlacing to be the quality bottleneck. In the future though, progressive content will upscale far better than Interlaced, and bad deinterlacing will stick out like a sore thumb when upscaled.

cheers,
David.

Reply #2
May I, add
as long as you have the time and ability to perform reasonable deinterlacing for the web, 50i is still good enough.

to the "against" section?

and
In the future though, progressive content will upscale far better than Interlaced

to the "for" section?

Thanks.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung