Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: iPod Shuffle won't play Nero AAC (Read 39549 times) previous topic - next topic

iPod Shuffle won't play Nero AAC

Reply #25
Quick question for the Nero Digital developers: it seems like iTunes encoded AAC files play on every AAC-compatible device (iPod / Xbox / Zen / etc). Nero AAC sometimes does not because of the file header which is slightly different (right?).

Isn't it possible to let Nero AAC generate files with exactly the same file header structure as iTunes does? This should solve all problems. 

Reply #26
I believe an updated version of Nero's AAC encoder will be coming out over the next couple of months and it should fix all these Xbox 360 and Creative Zen issues.  So I think they solved their issues on that front.  I am not sure what they did though.  I don't know if it was the actual encoder or just the header information.  Either way the problem is solved.

Reply #27
So (please correct me if I'm being too simple), should we use Feb version for classical music and Aug version for other music styles?

I encourage usage of August version so that we can find all problems that it introduces and fix it in the next release. February version will not be developed anymore and it also has some flaws (including quality related) which were fixed in August version.

Isn't it possible to let Nero AAC generate files with exactly the same file header structure as iTunes does?

kornchild2002 gave the answer

Reply #28
I believe an updated version of Nero's AAC encoder will be coming out over the next couple of months and it should fix all these Xbox 360 and Creative Zen issues.  So I think they solved their issues on that front.  I am not sure what they did though.  I don't know if it was the actual encoder or just the header information.  Either way the problem is solved.

kornchild2002 gave the answer

Thanks guys. At least I could buy a Zen now (if money is sufficient) and enjoy Nero AAC in the near future.

Reply #30
Thanks guys. At least I could buy a Zen now (if money is sufficient) and enjoy Nero AAC in the near future.

Yep, I have my lossless library just waiting to be encoded using Nero's AAC encoder.  Right now I am just carrying around the lossless files on my 16GB iPod touch which means that it has about 450 songs on it.  I would much rather be listening to 2000+ songs encoded with Nero AAC.  Then my 4GB Zen can get some use and my 30GB Halo 3 Zune will be permanently hooked up to my Xbox 360 with about 20GB worth of music encoded with Nero AAC.

Just waiting for the time to come.  I have waited this long so another month or so is nothing.  At least the Nero developers were nice enough to come on these forums and recognize that there was a problem.  Now Sony needs to get off their asses and make it so that the PS3 can read Apple AAC tags.  They did that with the PSP so the PS3 should be next.  Then my Nero AAC files can be properly read on every single media device that I have from consoles, home audio, and portable audio.

Reply #31
The same thing happens to me...

Any idea of when a new version of Nero AAC encoder is coming? Until then, should we use version 1.0.7.0 instead of 1.1.34.2 + OptimizeMP4?

Thanks.

I came across this post while researching the same problem.  I just bought two 2nd Generation iPod Shuffles and found that AAC files created with Nero AAC Encoder 1.1.34.2 would not play on them.  I tried the Optimize feature of Foobar2000 - no luck. Same thing with a similar feature in Mp3Tag.

After more searching I found this troubleshooting page for the Roku Soundbridge network music player:

http://www.rokulabs.com/support_sb_ts_playback.php

In the item about AAC files locking up it references a command line utility that is part of the mpeg4-ip utilities available at RareWares.org. 

http://www.rarewares.org/files/mp4/mpeg4ip...s-1.4.15cvs.zip  (Windows version)

I wanted a command line utility since I have automated the conversion of my FLAC files to AAC.  I downloaded the tools, used the command "mp4creator -optimize file.m4a" and the files now play just fine on the Shuffle!  Yeah!!  Now I don't have to re-encode my 5,000 FLAC files with another encoder.  Decided to post this solution here in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

Does anyone know how to use the mped4-ip utilities? Is there a tutorial about it?
All my m4a files encoded by Nero don't play in my Shuffle and I've found this seems to be the only answer!
Thanks