Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bug: crashing when using search and garbage characters when updating t (Read 1893 times) previous topic - next topic

Bug: crashing when using search and garbage characters when updating t

Hi,

I've submitted about a dozen of different crash reports as the library search stopped working for me. I think it only started with 1.1.17, but I have tried going back to .16 and it did not help.

Another bug is that when I use RG scanner and then update tags it doesn't write the tags properly and puts garbage into track numbers, like this:

A few more things I have noticed: any tag update on MP3 files is broken (bad characters, etc); everything works fine for AAC-encoded files.

Before updating:

After:

Properties after:

Reply #1
I've submitted about a dozen of different crash reports as the library search stopped working for me. I think it only started with 1.1.17, but I have tried going back to .16 and it did not help.
Tried making a completely clean foobar2000 install (eg. separate portable install) without thirdparty components? I've seen the reports already but they're not making a whole lot of sense, the code that crashes is in Windows DLLs, not in something that I have any power over; it's breaking while performing a trivial task of building a map of non-ASCII characters to their most similar ASCII equivalents (using WideCharToMultiByte).

Another bug is that when I use RG scanner and then update tags it doesn't write the tags properly and puts garbage into track numbers, like this

A few more things I have noticed: any tag update on MP3 files is broken (bad characters, etc); everything works fine for AAC-encoded files.
It would be very helpful if I could have a look at one of your files, before + after the bad tag update. [ hint: uploads forum ]

Finally: is there anything specific regarding your regional & code page settings in Windows control panel? Perhaps the two issues are in fact different symptoms of the same.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
I will try a clean install to see if it helps.

Here are my regional settings and [a href='index.php?showtopic=97951']here is the topic[/a] with with uploaded files (before and after update). Let me know if you need anything else.

Reply #3
I did a fresh installation using portable mode option and into a separate directory but unfortunately it does the same with the track numbers whenever any MP3 file is updated

Reply #4
FYI, upload topic hidden since I have the files, no reason to share them with anyone else.

Issue being investigated, thanks for the report.

Reply #5
Have you installed any other software recently just before the issue appeared?

As far as I can tell, WideCharToMultiByte part of the Windows API is acting nonsensically on your system; either crashes or produces incorrect output (hence bad tags).

The crash report tracker says there's exactly one more user (one report logged last month) having this issue; so it's not just your system but it's something extremely obscure and it never triggered until recently - perhaps some third party app has something to do with it?

I can only recommend that you do not use foobar2000 until this issue is somehow resolved; various parts of foobar2000 codebase rely on this function and will produce incorrect output.

Reply #6
Also, do a virus scan.
Some viruses add DLLs into every process to do hooks like this.

Reply #7
Well, there was a bunch of Windows updates recently (last Tue) - that was just before the issue started happening. Also there was a QuickTime update as well. But other than that, nothing new installed.

I did a virus scan and malware scan - all clean.

I have also tried changing my locale to English-UK and to English-US but it did not help. The most strange thing is why does it work correctly for AAC files? What's the difference?

Another manifestation of this bug is that foo_dop stopped working correctly and is now unable to upload most of the files onto my iPod. That used to work fine too.

Reply #8
WideCharToMultiByte is used for converting Unicode text to non-unicode (specific codepage), which is needed for specific ID3 tag fields. This is not needed for MP4/AAC tags where all the data is Unicode all the time.

Reply #9
I have managed to track this issue down to a corrupted NLS file at c:\windows\system32\C_20127.NLS (thank god for SysInternals tools!). Once I restored the file from original Win7 CD everything is back to normal. Many thanks for looking into this - I would not have been able to find the culprit broken file without your hints.

I have no idea how it got corrupted in the first place though. Also strange that no other applications use this code page, seems like only Foobar was affected.

Reply #10
Good to know that it's fixed.

I guess few apps rely on WideCharToMultiByte this much, in fb2k it's needed essentially for the stuff that broke for you (ID3 tag handling + character remapping in search queries).