Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 24 bit conversion problems (Read 5972 times) previous topic - next topic

24 bit conversion problems

Hi all. First time poster. I have been racking my brains trying to figure out why my 24 bit flac files are not converting correctly. I use FLAC front end to convert them to wav.

I have used three different programs to burn them to a dvd so I can listen to them on a high rez dvd player/stereo sytem. Every time, they come out in slow motion with a terrible constant clicking (kind of a buffering) noise.

I have tried 3 different programs for burning and different file sets. So I don't think it is the flac files and I don't think it is the program I am burning it to.

I use flac all the time for 16 bit conversions and never an issue.

Any idea on what my problem may be?

Thanks,

FOTD

Reply #1
Listen to decoded (WAV) files. If they're OK, blame burning programs.

Reply #2
Do the WAVs play back fine on your machine, in high res?

Does your play handle 16/44 burned DVDs fine? Does it handle burned CDs fine?

My gut feeling tells me that this is a problem happening in the player - that it's not correctly handling the sample rate, and some other issue is causing the clicks. If you've got any other software to burn the DVDs, or if you have a friend who has a similar setup going, I'd consider working from there.

Reply #3
There are 2 or 3 ways of encoding/storing 24-bit audio in wavs. I suspect something went wrong here. On the orther hand, AFAIK there is only one way of storing 32-bit wavs, so maybe give it a try.

By the way, does your DVD system read 24-bit wavs at all, or just DVD-A discs? This is not the same, and the system might have "thought" that the 24-bit wavs are actually 16-bit, and hence the slow motion (1.5x or 2x more bytes per second in 24-bit/32-bit files) and noise.
Ceterum censeo, there should be an "%is_stop_after_current%".

Reply #4
Listen to decoded (WAV) files. If they're OK, blame burning programs.

Two things about that.

1. I don't have a 24 bit sound card. So SHOULD I be able to listen to them in correct quality on PC?

Secondly, I did listen to them and they also sound shaky and not correct on PC.

But knowing that, I still cannot figure what it would be? I don't think it is Flac Front End as it seems that should do the trick.

Could it be something about the resources of my PC?

FOTD

Reply #5
There are 2 or 3 ways of encoding/storing 24-bit audio in wavs. I suspect something went wrong here. On the orther hand, AFAIK there is only one way of storing 32-bit wavs, so maybe give it a try.

By the way, does your DVD system read 24-bit wavs at all, or just DVD-A discs? This is not the same, and the system might have "thought" that the 24-bit wavs are actually 16-bit, and hence the slow motion (1.5x or 2x more bytes per second in 24-bit/32-bit files) and noise.

You are hitting on something I had not considered. I "assumed" that if I could play dvd-a, that I would be able to play 24 bit.

I will have to check that out. Perhaps that IS the issue...

Would my PC also sound like that if I don't have a 24 bit sound card?

Thanks!

Reply #6

No, if your sound card is 16 bits then a proper 24 bit file will simply be converted to 16 bits when played back.

Reply #7
Ok well that is interesting. The wav files do not sound right when I play them back on my PC.

So what could it be? Something in the conversion? I don't think it is the source files as I have tried a few different filesets.

FOTD

Reply #8
I use FLAC front end to convert them to wav...

...burn them to a dvd so I can listen to them on a high rez dvd player/stereo sytem. Every time, they come out in slow motion with a terrible constant clicking (kind of a buffering) noise.

I have tried 3 different programs for burning and different file sets. So I don't think it is the flac files and I don't think it is the program I am burning it to.

If I understand you, you're converting FLAC to WAV, and burning 24-bit WAV files onto a DVD, and then playing the DVD on a DVD player?

Can you play the DVDs your computer?

You should check your owner's manual to see what formats are supported by your DVD player.  Video-DVD players can often play a variety of formats, but they are only required to play video DVDs.  (LPCM or Dolby AC-3 multiplexed with MPEG video in VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder, etc.  PAL players are also required to play MPEG-2 audio.) 

DVD-Audio players have a different set of strict requirements.  But again, DVD-audio players are not required to play WAV files.  (They must play AOB files in the AUDIO_TS folder.)

If you want to make an "audio DVD" that plays on all* DVD players, you need to create a "slideshow" DVD with a DVD Authoring program.  (The "slide" can simply be an image that shows the artist/title, or it can even be a black screen, etc.)

Your soundcard's drivers will take care of the conversion.

* Actually, you can't burn a DVD that works with all DVD players, because some DVD players have trouble with "burned" DVDs, or with one or more of the burned DVD formats.  (Some players won't play DVD+R, some won't play dual-layer burned DVDs, etc...).

Reply #9
The wav files do not sound right when I play them back on my PC.

...but when you play FLAC files they sound correctly? What program do you use to play FLAC?

Reply #10
No. I have not played the FLAC files.

Reply #11
Maybe you should try that then.

Reply #12
two things.

First, I don't know how to play FLAC directly. Never have done it.
Secondly, I assume the point of playing the Flac would be to see if the source files are ok?

If so, I have tried a few different sets of source files, all with the same result. So I really don't think it is the source files.

Reply #13
If using Windows, install foobar2000 and play the FLAC file in that.
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #14
If using Windows, install foobar2000 and play the FLAC file in that.

I will try that. Until I can, for the sake of discussion, lets say they ARE ok.

Where does that lead me?

FOTD

Reply #15
Decode them to WAV using foobar2000.

Reply #16
What are you using to decode the FLAC files? I seem to remember that there was a slight format change, to do with 24-bit files, which renders older decoders obsolete (around 1.2.0, I think).
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #17
What are you using to decode the FLAC files? I seem to remember that there was a slight format change, to do with 24-bit files, which renders older decoders obsolete (around 1.2.0, I think).

I am using Flac Front end. I looked all over the place and cannot find any reference as to any issues with Flac Front End and 24 bit.

Reply #18
This is really quite the challenge. Here is the latest.

I put the 24 bit flac files on a newer Vista laptop. I then decoded them with Foobar to wav.

They sound fine like they should.

HOWEVER, two things-

1. When I try to burn them with LPLEX, I get an error saying something like the are 44 khz and cannot be burned.

When I try to dl Flac Front end on that laptop, it will not dl properly, I get that one error that is described for Vista with the installer. However, the workaround does not seem to work.

SO I am stumped. On the older PC, they burned fine with LPLEX(no error) but did not sound right.

Any suggestions on how to burn this for dvd listening or how to get around the Flac Front End issue?

MANY THANKS!

PS- ANy thoughts on why my older XP desktop wont convert these properly but my newer  laptop will?

Reply #19
When I try to burn them with LPLEX, I get an error saying something like the are 44 khz and cannot be burned.

If you want to make DVD-video disc  you have to convert your 44.1 kHz files to 48 kHz. Maybe LPLEX can do this automatically, don't know.

PS- ANy thoughts on why my older XP desktop wont convert these properly but my newer laptop will?

Because you use different programs? (foobar2000 on Vista laptop and Flac Frontend on XP desktop?)

Reply #20
When I try to burn them with LPLEX, I get an error saying something like the are 44 khz and cannot be burned.

If you want to make DVD-video disc  you have to convert your 44.1 kHz files to 48 kHz. Maybe LPLEX can do this automatically, don't know.

PS- ANy thoughts on why my older XP desktop wont convert these properly but my newer laptop will?

Because you use different programs? (foobar2000 on Vista laptop and Flac Frontend on XP desktop?)

No, I tried FOOBAR on the older desktop before I moved to the laptop. They still did not sound right...

FOTD