Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack on mobiles (Read 9373 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack on mobiles

Allow me to say upfront that I'm pretty ignorant as far as mobile apps/systems are concerned, but seeing all these nice little tools being coded all over the 'Net for various purposes I was wondering if anybody has considered developing a nice .WV decoder for Java (not Symbian) based phones yet.

Thanks.

Dc
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

WavPack on mobiles

Reply #1
Anyone in the know please?

WavPack on mobiles

Reply #2
'Net for various purposes I was wondering if anybody has considered developing a nice .WV decoder for Java (not Symbian) based phones yet.

Not that I am aware of. The only device that currently supports WavPack decoding is the Rockbox firmware implementation. I am sure it would be possible to develope a java decoder, but I am sure it depends on a number of other different engineering factors.
budding I.T professional

WavPack on mobiles

Reply #3
I asked some weeks or months ago if something like this can be done for Vorbis or HE-AAC, but I was told that Java would be too slow for handling decoding in real time (and probably would eat up the battery since everything is done in software).

WavPack on mobiles

Reply #4
Where can I find those Java applications?
How about Macromedia Flash?

WavPack on mobiles

Reply #6
I asked some weeks or months ago if something like this can be done for Vorbis or HE-AAC, but I was told that Java would be too slow for handling decoding in real time (and probably would eat up the battery since everything is done in software).
That's what I suspected, thanks Sebastian.
Maybe one day we'll see Rockbox ported to mobiles... unlikely but one can hope...

WavPack on mobiles

Reply #9
As someone who admits to being completely ignorant about modern mobile phones - albeit happy that way - how much WavPack format audio could one hope to store on a modern phone anyway? I don't know what the average memory size is these days.

WavPack on mobiles

Reply #10
As someone who admits to being completely ignorant about modern mobile phones - albeit happy that way - how much WavPack format audio could one hope to store on a modern phone anyway? I don't know what the average memory size is these days.
On my girfirend's Sony Ericsson W810i which features Memory Stick PRO Duo support up to 2 GB, same goes for my Nokia 6233 but via microSD memory.

WavPack on mobiles

Reply #11
There are none for Java.

Thanks you for the answer. 
1. Once again, how about Macromedia flash?
2. I see Youtube can play flv without any installation decoder, is it possible in mobile?

WavPack on mobiles

Reply #12
Allow me to say upfront that I'm pretty ignorant as far as mobile apps/systems are concerned, but seeing all these nice little tools being coded all over the 'Net for various purposes I was wondering if anybody has considered developing a nice .WV decoder for Java (not Symbian) based phones yet.

Thanks.

Dc

Well the coreplayer project aims to serve your needs (albeit they are focused on delivering both video and audio).
CorePlayer

They have their Core Pocket Media Player running on Palm and WindowsCE/Windows_Mobile so if you have a "smart" phone you can run this: (TCPMP)

I am using what appears to be an unofficially supported wavpack plugin for my Treo 650 from here: wavpack

Give them your support!

WavPack on mobiles

Reply #13
tcpmp 0.72rc1 has been working great on my motorolaQ (i've used mp3/mpc/wv)

musepack on my Q!!!!!!

WavPack on mobiles

Reply #14
Cool to know, thanks, but I'll never buy a smart phone which runs Microsoft Windows Mobile.

WavPack on mobiles

Reply #15

There are none for Java.

Thanks you for the answer. 
1. Once again, how about Macromedia flash?
2. I see Youtube can play flv without any installation decoder, is it possible in mobile?

Flash is not a programming language, and there's no way an application could be written. FLV is part of the Flash format, it only supports FLV and MP3 afaik. The mobile version, Flash Lite, is mainly for games than anything else.

WavPack on mobiles

Reply #16
well, the Q was given to me at work

i wasn't about to say no...

later