Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Impossible to disable tagging in dbpoweramp? (Read 6276 times) previous topic - next topic

Impossible to disable tagging in dbpoweramp?

Hi everyone
I'm an EAC user but a real noob with dbpoweramp, so I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question

Thing is, I dislike tagging files when ripping for archival purposes...
But it seems to me that dbpoweramp won't let you disable tagging for FLAC files...

Do I have to rip them to WAV and then convert them to FLAC myself, to end up tag-free?

Also, how does dbpoweramp creates FLAC files?
Does it use libraries (DLLs) or the command line utility like EAC does...

Thanks heaps...

Reply #2
I had tried that, but it doesn't let you turn the tags off, only lets you change it between Vorbis Comments or ID3v2, but it does let you turn it off for WAV files in that same dialog box...

Reply #3
dBpoweramp allows you to add ID3v2 tags to flac? 

tsk tsk

EDIT: It's probably clear that I don't use dBpoweramp to rip to flac. 

Reply #4
But it seems to me that dbpoweramp won't let you disable tagging for FLAC files...

Strange preference of yours. Anyway, try the following:
Click "Options" in main window, then "Options" under "Meta Data", then about one screen down: "Disable Tag Writing".

Also, if I understand correctly the menu Greynol points you to:
It only lets you choose what to do when you use Vorbis comments, and when you use ID3, not when to use either.

Also, how does dbpoweramp creates FLAC files?

DLL.

Reply #5
Excellent.  Sorry I couldn't be as helpful.

Hopefully I'll remember this situation next time people hype dBpoweramp as being so much easier than EAC to configure.
...and I fully concede the point that EAC can easily be configured to add ID3 tags to flac files, though you think the lesson would have been learned.

Reply #6
how does dbpoweramp creates FLAC files?
You can use any command line encoder or other utility that you want with dbpoweramp, but it's easier to use and configure the many included or downloadable codecs. (flac is one of the included codecs.)

Reply #7
dBpoweramp allows you to add ID3v2 tags to flac? 

tsk tsk

EDIT: It's probably clear that I don't use dBpoweramp to rip to flac. 

There is a group of hardware players which will only read ID3v2 tags from a FLAC file, which used to be the standard before vorbis comments years ago...

It is like not offering id3v1 tags for mp3, they were once the standard and have to be supported for backwards compatibility. See:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020206041721/...net/format.html

A FLAC bitstream may be appended with ID3V1 data or prepended with ID3V2 data. FLAC has no knowledge of such data, but the reference decoder knows how to skip an ID3 tag.

Reply #8
You do realize that this doesn't exactly square with the comments made by flac's developer?

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry465962
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry483418
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....mp;#entry488993

Reply #9
You cannot rewrite the past, if it was once supported (for a number of years) there exist FLAC files with ID3v2 tags, there exist hardware players which cannot be updated...Just because we have an obscure option to enable id3v2 on flac (which is presented as:  Vorbis comments, or ID3v2 (not recommended) ) that is somehow bad?

Good-luck on your crusade to rid the world of legacy support, why not start with mp3 and id3v1 tags? - any program which supports id3v1 writing, lets create a black list! <fx: shakes head>

Reply #11

Strange preference of yours. Anyway, try the following:
Click "Options" in main window, then "Options" under "Meta Data", then about one screen down: "Disable Tag Writing".

I feel tagging is for post consumption... i.e. Converting flacs to mp3s to use in my car etc
I like my archives to be as raw as possible and I keep all the info I need in the filenames, hence when I need to correct anything like wrong spellings, I don't need to keep updating stupid tags, just rename the files and I'm done...
That way I also don't have to modify any files when a mistake is found... Updating tags always causes the files to be modified...
I like to keep my archives as untouched as possible... Renaming a file doesn't modify it...
Then when I am creating mp3s or whatever I need, I just tag them from the filename data...

Reply #12
Unfortunately there are still modern players that only support ID3 tags in FLAC as well. The WD TV Live springs to mind, no support for Vorbis

Reply #13
Unfortunately there are still modern players that only support ID3 tags in FLAC as well. The WD TV Live springs to mind, no support for Vorbis

Nonsense.

My WD HD TV Live! displays all tags from my FLAC files and I can assure you there are no ID3 tags there.