Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME Comment Tag (Read 3020 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME Comment Tag

I'm converting my flac files (ripped with EAC) to mp3 using the convert function and LAME encoder in Foobar.  I'm trying to now add a value in the comment tag but can't seem to get the syntax right.

I'm trying to add the following comment: LAME v3.97 -V 2 --vbr-new

In the Command Line Encoder Settings Parameters in Foobar (diskwriter) I have the following string:

-V 2 --vbr-new --tc "LAME v3.97 -V 2 --vbr-new" %s %d

The file converts from flac to mp3 just fine and all the flac tags come across perfectly, but this additional comment doesn't appear in the comment field. It doesn't appear as a tag at all. 

Help!  What am I doing wrong?

LAME Comment Tag

Reply #1
Here's my commandline, "-V 2 --vbr-new - %d"

The options are:
Format is: Lossy
Highest BPS mode supported: 16 bit
Tag: ID2v2

All my tags, comments included, come across perfectly...from FLAC/CUE images.

Edit: Oops, didn't see that you're trying to add a specific comment.

LAME Comment Tag

Reply #2
Here's my commandline, "-V 2 --vbr-new - %d"

The options are:
Format is: Lossy
Highest BPS mode supported: 16 bit
Tag: ID2v2

All my tags, comments included, come across perfectly...from FLAC/CUE images.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=360403"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks clintb.  All of my comments are coming over from FLAC as well. I am using the same commandline as you for the most part with the exception that I have added --tc, which should add a value in the comment field.

I am trying to add an additional "hard coded" comment on my mp3 files.  This comment I do not want on my FLAC files as it is specific to mp3 and the encoding options used.  LAME does provide an ability to add a "hard coded" comment during the encoding process, but I can't seem to get the syntax right.

LAME Comment Tag

Reply #3
may I ask what the %d is for?

LAME Comment Tag

Reply #4
%d is a placeholder for the output filename, which will be detirmined by your output file formatting string.

The relevant parts are - %d.

"-" tells LAME to use STDIN as the input.
"%d" is replaced by foobar using the output file formatting string.
I'm on a horse.

LAME Comment Tag

Reply #5
Possibly foobar2000 overwrites LAME's comment tag with the tags which it adds itself, or there is some other incompatibility due to you having two tagging methods activated.