Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Getting unexpected MP3 sync words (Read 2460 times) previous topic - next topic

Getting unexpected MP3 sync words

Hi ... I'm writing a player in Java for Internet radio stations using the Javazoom library to do the MP3 decode. It's all working pretty well apart from a 'hiccup' in the audio every 5 seconds or so. I've traced this down to where the decoder gets MP3 frames with a non-standard syncword i.e. usually it  is 0xFFFFF330 but every 5 seconds I see a frame with the top byte set to something different e.g. sync word 0x9EFFF330, 0xCDFFF330 etc. I searched high and low on Google to see whether sync words other than 11 leading 1's mean anything specific but I can't find anything relevant.

Can anyone offer an explanation for these strange sync words please ?

Thanks
Ron

Getting unexpected MP3 sync words

Reply #1
Radio stations usually send the name of the song currently playing each x seconds. I don't know if that might be what you're receiving. Do you see anything resembling text after that sync word?

I don't have information about that, but maybe looking about shoutcast and streaming might help.