Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mpeg 2.5, 8000Hz, mono mp3 problem (Read 3876 times) previous topic - next topic

mpeg 2.5, 8000Hz, mono mp3 problem

I've got some mpeg 2.5, 8000Hz, mono mp3's with speech. The problem is, that when played with foobar, there appears a disturbing bubbling sound. No such sound is present when played with winamp, so the problem must be in foobar.

I made an experiment and decoded the mp3 with foobar and cdex and resulting wav played with foobar. The wav from cdex is played correctly, in the wav created with foobar is still the bubbling. So the problem must be somewhere in the foobar's mp3 decoder. This appears with 8000Hz mp3's at any bitrate, not with 11025Hz.

This can be simply reproduced by creating mpeg 2.5 mp3's, e.g. by cdex and playing with foobar and winamp.

Reply #1
Did you try the "convert mono to stereo" DSP?

Reply #2
Also, try enabling Resampler DSP.

Reply #3
No, nothing of this helps. Resampler improves the sound quality (that's, why I want to use foobar and not winamp), but the bubbling remains. As I said, winamp plays it well, wav (with sampling frequency 8000Hz, too) created with cdex from the mp3 is played correctly. So the problem isn't in output, but in the decoding of mp3.

To prevent other questions: this appears with clean install of foobar, with and without any DSP's, with and without dithering...

I think, that it could be easily tested with any 8000Hz mpeg 2.5 mp3 which can be created by cdex. Otherwise I could paste here some sample.

Reply #4
Yup, it would help if you upload the relevant sample to "Uploads" forum.

Reply #5
Uploaded here.