Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Methods or equipment for accurate bit-for-bit SPDIF transfer (Read 2475 times) previous topic - next topic

Methods or equipment for accurate bit-for-bit SPDIF transfer

I am trying to transfer an audio recording from a DAT recorder digitally to a PC for burning onto a CD or archiving in WAVE format. At the moment, all I have is a SoundBlaster Live card into which I feed the SP/DIF audio data from the DAT unit (via it’s ‘CD Digital’ input).

The problem is that the amplitude of the captured audio apparently can be increased or decreased via the card’s CD Digital recording input level control slider, which is something I do not want. Rather I prefer the capture the digital audio from the DAT exactly as it is on the original tape without any processing (in this case, amplitude). In other words bit-for-bit, or as close to this as possible.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or info as to how I can achieve this, what equipment I need that is not too costly, or what reasonably priced sound card can properly and accurately capture an incoming SP/DIF digital audio signal AS IS without allowing it to be manipulated in any way.

Thank you in advance

Reply #1
Your SB Live probably cannot do this because it will resample all input to 48khz (even if the source is already 48khz)
You need to buy another audio interface/soundcard which can [1] set SPDIF master/slave mode and [2] set master clock to 44.1khz and 48khz and preferably [3] support ASIO for wider compatibility of recording software.

Reply #2
I am trying to transfer an audio recording from a DAT recorder digitally to a PC for burning onto a CD or archiving in WAVE format.

DAT records audio with 48kHz samplerate. SB is fine to capture that.
CD requries 44.1kHz samplerate. You will need a samplerate converter for what you wan to do - Foobar2000 has a good SRC avail, the one based on SOX routines (not the "normal one".