Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar 1.6.2 can't play ape? (Read 1806 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar 1.6.2 can't play ape?

Greetings
foobar 1.6.2 is my only audio player
it used to play ape files
now it doesn't
it has monkey's audio decoder component
the error message I get is:
Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported file format)
what do I have to do to play ape files as I used to?
thank you

Re: foobar 1.6.2 can't play ape?

Reply #1
(cont.)
but it does play ape thru a cue file
so what is missing in a folder of ape files that foobar cannot play?
thank you

Reply #2
temporary solution: converted ape to flac
but it is odd why cue+ape is played and a folder of ape files foobar cannot play

Reply #3
I don't have good enough imagination to come up with a scenario to replicate this problem. But I can tell you that playing Monkey's Audio files without cue sheets work just fine with foobar2000 v1.6.2.

Care to try with a clean portable install with nothing but Monkey's Audio Decoder added as an extra? Or some extra info how to replicate the playback problem with clear-enough steps that I can follow them.

Reply #4
I agree that it is hard to imagine. It never happened before and I'm using foobar2000 for years. Will try to find another example and attach if it is possible. maybe these ape files were corrupted
anyway foobar error message that this type is not supported was wrong since cue+ape is played without a problem and ape component is present and need no update.
Does ape file binary start with MAC?

Reply #5
Sharing a file here in the open might not be the best (both for legal and for technical reasons), but if you upload one of the offending file somewhere (like, Sendspace) and PM over a link?

Reply #7
(The component lists an older version as the "current" version, because it somehow matters that decoding is slower now, even though it is likely less than 1% of a CPU core to decode in real time. Note that the speeds that are being compared are unlikely to have any effect unless you are converting to WAV files on an NVMe SSD, or running ego pumping benchmarks.)