Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Poster on ATOT forums runs lossy vs lossless test (Read 4226 times) previous topic - next topic

Poster on ATOT forums runs lossy vs lossless test

Linkage

If you are reg'd there, feel free to vote.  Will be interesting to see the results.

Methodology:
1. Using EAC secure mode, I have ripped one track of three CDs PCM wav files
2. File is loaded into Nero Soundtrax and cut to 46 seconds.
3. Nero Soundtrax is used to export a 46 second PCM wave file
4. Nero Soundtrax is used to export a FLAC file with compression set to 4, this is the "reference" file.
5. Nero Soundtrax is used to export a FLAC file with compression set to 8, this is the lossless file.
6. Nero Soundtrax is used to export an AAC file, set to use the Low Complexity algorithm with 320kbps CBR
7. The 46 second PCM file is encoded using LAME using --alt-preset insane --noreplaygain
8. The 46 second PCM file is encoded using the mystery encoder
9. The AAC lossy file is opened into Nero Soundtrax and exported to FLAC using compression set to 8.
10. Repeat step 9 for the MP3 file
11. Repeat step 10 for the mystery encoded file
12. Names changed to generic names and files uploaded to server

Reply #1
What exactly is the point in testing lossless codecs?

Reply #2
What exactly is the point in testing lossless codecs?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302624"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They're not resting lossless codecs, but rather lossy ones, which have been later decoded in a lossless format (wav), then re-encoded into flac, as to hide the original compressor.

It'd be nice to see some people try this test out, and perhaps post their results, either here or at AnandTech.  I think I will.

Peace,
T.

Reply #3
Hoho! I thought someone was inspired by the post at Slashdot telling me to conduce a listening test featuring FLAC, since it is open source and free...

Reply #4
Hoho! I thought someone was inspired by the post at Slashdot telling me to conduce a listening test featuring FLAC, since it is open source and free...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=302663"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Unfortunately not.