Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: SimPlaylist (foo_simplaylist) (Read 248998 times) previous topic - next topic

SimPlaylist (foo_simplaylist)

Reply #200
Ok, thanks, with your help I think I have finally come to some understanding of this system.

1) I still don't think that top-level grouping by %genre% is possible, because it is hard-coded to group by %album%.
This is fine, I was only using this as a hypothetical example to find out how this system works.

2) While the top-level grouping fundamentally works at the %album% level the Header display plays a part in the top-level grouping. For instance, if you add %date% to the header, you will top-level group by %album%-%date%. This breaks Greatest Hits compilations into multiple top-level groups. But, since the parsing is serial, I don't see how this behavior can change.

Conclusion: To support Greatest Hits compilations you can do one of either:

a) Remove the %date% tag from the header
or
b) Re-tag your Greatest Hits albums so that each song's %date% is the release date of the album and add a %recorded_date% field for display if desired.

What do you mean by top-level group? As far as I can tell you can get any grouping you want by combining headers and sorting.

For compilations, I would tag individual songs with their own date and add a %release date% tag for the date of the album. This allows you to use something like $if(%release date%,%release date%,%date%) in your header or for sorting and display each songs' %date% in a column.

Here a working configuration for my understanding of what you want:
Headers:
  • [%genre%]
  • [%album artist%]
  • [%album%][' ('[%release date%]')']
Sorting pattern: [%genre%]$stripprefix($replace(%album artist%,",))$if(%release date%,%release date%,%date%)[%album%][%disc%][%track%]
Subgroups:
  • [Disc [%disc%]]

I didn't add album art because it's currently broken for me, it should work fine though.

Reply #201
What do you mean by top-level group? As far as I can tell you can get any grouping you want by combining headers and sorting.

What I mean by top-level group is:

Blues
-  Artist1
--    Album1
--    Album2
Rock
-  Artist2
--    Album1
-  Artist3
--    Album1

where Blues and Rock are top-level groups

We must be using different versions, I am using Foobar2000 v1.1.7 and SimPlaylist dated 8/18/2011. I tried your working configuration and it does not work.

What I get is:

Blues
-  Artist1
--    Album1
Blues
-  Artist1
--    Album2
Rock
-  Artist2
--    Album1
Rock
-  Artist3
--    Album1

So you can see that the main grouping is in %album% no matter what the headers, columns, or sorting are set to.

It's actually not that simple (depending on your definition of simple) it all boils down to these two sentences in the documentation:

"Playlist tracks are grouped by comparing each track with the next one according to a title formatting pattern. If the results differ, a group is inserted into the playlist."

For compilations, I would tag individual songs with their own date and add a %release date% tag for the date of the album. This allows you to use something like $if(%release date%,%release date%,%date%) in your header or for sorting and display each songs' %date% in a column.

Good idea, I'll give it try

Reply #202
One more thing to try: I've found that the sorting pattern doesn't always apply when you activate a preset. Add a column to your preset if you don't already have one and then click on its header to apply to sorting pattern specified in the preset.

Reply #203
Maybe this only happens with high resolutions? I always have the problem at my main PC (2560*1600) but never at the second one (1600*1200).

I just tried lower resolutions (down to 800*600) and the problem shows with all of them.

Reply #204
(...) I'm getting unreliable behaviour from undo/ctrl-z. It does work, at least, but sometimes when I remove tracks from a playlist and then undo, it appears to undo something else. It just doesn't pick up all actions.

Fixed for the next update, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Must say I'm hanging for this undo-fixing update, Herr Bicking

Reply #205
Perhaps I missed the solution to this somewhere, but I'm wondering how to load a cuesheet's tracklist by default into the simplaylist playlist instead of a single entry showing the .CUE file itself, when dragging and dropping a folder into the playlist?

Reply #206
I would like to know if it's possible to do the following formatting:

The Flower Kings
[blockquote][1999] Flower Power
[blockquote]Disc 1
Garden of Dreams:
[blockquote]1. Dawn
2. Simple Song
3. [...]
[/blockquote]
4. Captain Capstan // This is not a part of the "Garden of Dreams" suite
5. [...] // Neither is this[/blockquote][/blockquote]
The bold part is where the problem is.

Reply #208
I think this is a bug, else I can't find a setting to correct the behavior:

When using Drag+Drop from a playlist to an external program (ex fb2k->mp3tag), the songs are automatically removed from the playlist. I see that right click Drag+Drop gives an option to either copy, or copy and remove from playlist, but both options produce the latter behavior. I'm assuming copy and do not remove is the intended default behavior.

foobar2000 1.1.8, Simplaylist 1.0

Reply #209
Hey Frank!

I'curious to know, if there's any development for this $summarize-option requested here?

Reply #210
Hello Frank,

I think its good time for suggestions - beta has end. Is it possible to do: per playlist group mode settings in playlist view? Its good to have different views for different playlists (history, favorites, all music, queue, search etc). Its on foobar's feature proposals list from years now and good to know if that could be possible to do with your plug-in. Thanks for your great work!
foo foo foo

Reply #211
I'm very interested in the ability to quickly rate tracks just by the clicking of stars, where and how is the ratings data stored? it would be great if it was stored in xml or in the id3 tags.

Reply #212
There are 2 Columns in Simplaylist for Rating
Rating db: (for use with Playback statistics (foo_playcount) stores the Rating in the DB)
Rating: writes to the Tag

I use the Ratings db field in conjunktion with the advanced option "Automatically syncronize file Tags with statistics"

Reply #213
Hello All,

I've been working on a custom theme for foobar v1.1.8 for a couple of weeks now. I've got the components I need installed and the title formatting scripts written to my liking (I believe) and I'm getting ready to release it into the wild...but, I have a small problem.

I've laid my screen out and it works great. If I close foobar and reopen it, Simplaylist does not restore properly. There is no info displayed in any of the fields until I adjust the size of one of the columns. All I have to do to restore the columns, view and info from the previous session is drag one of the dividers between the columns and Simplaylist repopulates the fields. I've attached two screenshots of the issue. The first is of everything working properly and the second is after reopening foobar and Simplaylist not displaying any info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to releasing my first theme, but until this issue is resolved I won't do it.

Thanks!
Jeremy

Here's the components I currently have installed...

Code: [Select]
Core (2011-09-14 09:11:28 UTC)
    foobar2000 core 1.1.8
foo_albumlist.dll (2011-09-14 09:09:52 UTC)
    Album List 4.5
foo_cdda.dll (2011-09-14 09:09:40 UTC)
    CD Audio Decoder 3.0
foo_converter.dll (2011-09-14 09:09:32 UTC)
    Converter 1.5
foo_dsp_std.dll (2011-09-14 09:10:12 UTC)
    Standard DSP Array 1.0
foo_dsp_xgeq.dll (2011-10-09 06:08:13 UTC)
    Graphic Equalizer 0.2.0
foo_fileops.dll (2011-09-14 09:08:24 UTC)
    File Operations 2.1.3
foo_freedb2.dll (2011-09-14 09:08:22 UTC)
    freedb Tagger 0.6.4
foo_input_std.dll (2011-09-20 17:21:14 UTC)
    Standard Input Array 1.0
foo_jesus.dll (2011-10-09 22:30:00 UTC)
    Autosave & Autobackup 10
foo_keep_queue.dll (2011-10-22 06:11:28 UTC)
    Keep Queue 0.3.5
foo_playcount.dll (2011-10-09 00:31:32 UTC)
    Playback Statistics 3.0.2
foo_queuecontents.dll (2011-10-09 06:26:19 UTC)
    Queue Contents Editor 0.4.5
foo_rgscan.dll (2011-09-14 09:09:32 UTC)
    ReplayGain Scanner 2.1.2
foo_simplaylist.dll (2011-10-08 23:45:56 UTC)
    SimPlaylist 1.0
foo_tagbox.dll (2011-10-09 01:00:07 UTC)
    TagBox 0.212
foo_textdisplay.dll (2011-10-09 22:30:08 UTC)
    Text Display UI Element 1.0 RC 3
foo_ui_std.dll (2011-09-14 09:09:46 UTC)
    Default User Interface 0.9.5
foo_uie_biography.dll (2011-10-10 04:43:28 UTC)
    Biography View 0.4.2.4
foo_uie_lyrics3.dll (2011-10-10 04:42:52 UTC)
    Lyric Show Panel 3 0.1.4
foo_unpack.dll (2011-09-14 09:09:06 UTC)
    ZIP/GZIP/RAR Reader 1.6
foo_wave_seekbar.dll (2011-10-09 00:52:47 UTC)
    Waveform seekbar 0.2.13.13

Reply #214
Hi !

I have the same problem as you and that since the early betas of SimPlaylist 1.0. I mentioned it in the forum a few months ago and Franck (the author of SimPlaylist and Facets) should know that this bug exists.
I've done extensive tests and my conclusion is that it's related to the theme layout and the use of splitters.

Here's a test layout before I close foobar2000.

When I restart, one component in the layout is corrupted.

Last thing to notice is that if you close foobar2000 without any resizing to restore component display, the next time you restart, the columns are completely corrupted and you're not able to restore the content by resizing. The only solution is to remove the component and put a new one instead.

I also suspect facets to be affected by a similar issue, but it's not the subject of this thread.

I don't know if Franck is working on this issue, but I really hope he is.

Reply #215
Cool, well not "cool", cool...I'm happy it's not just me that's having the issue. Initially, I thought it was Waveform Seekbar having an issue with Simplaylist, but after experimenting I'm pretty sure it's just Simplaylist. I love the component because nothing else out there, for the DUI, handles the ratings column like Simplaylist. If Frank isn't working on the issue I guess I'll just deal. It's still my favorite playlist viewer.

Reply #216
Would be nice if simplaylist would show in the playing column not only the first appearance of a track in the queue but all if it is added multiple times times to the playback queue (like default playlist viewer)

Reply #217
Would be nice if simplaylist would show in the playing column not only the first appearance of a track in the queue but all if it is added multiple times times to the playback queue (like default playlist viewer)

I agree with that.

Reply #218
A small request: for us who frequently use the playback queue it would be ideal to have an (advanced) option to assign middle click with "add to playback queue"

Reply #219
SimPlaylist is meant for users who want the same look and feel as the original playlist view with some additional features, but without the typical configuration overhead that comes with other components.

I like to request some additional features more that in my eyes would perfectly fit in SimPlaylist: first and foremost the highly desired customization of playlists on a per_playlist_basis which is also the condition for some of the following requests.

Userfriendly creation of playlist layouts
Already in the standard playlist view the creation and storage of playlist layouts (available in quick setup dialog) is a hidden and unconvenient feature. It would be more userfriendly to do the job of layout creation from the contextmenu of simplaylists columns bar: after picking some columns, arranging their order and choosing a grouping, the layout could then be saved and loaded in a convenient way from the context menu.

Sort menu
To have the sort menu (Main menu -> Edit -> Sort) as well in the context menu of the columns bar is not only anyhow an obvious place for it but would spare me the often forgotten step to put focus on playlist view before making a sorting.

Leftclick on columns header sorts inside a group rather than the whole playlist
User scenario: your playlist is grouped by directory but the tracks inside the directory are sorted by title missing the leading tracknumber - a simple click on column "tracknumber" sorts the tracks correctly inside their groups. Or: grouping by album and sorting inside albums by rating, playcount or whatever. That function could be provided by a simple checkbox option in the prefrence page for columns

Last but not least: probably the most amazing feature
Sorting the playlist by a pattern provided in the sort menu causes a cluttered view because the existing grouping becomes inappropiate. In my eyes it would be an amazing feature if the sorting from sort menu also changes automatically  the grouping if not even the whole layout of the playlist: f.e. i sort by last_played and the grouping changes to "$date(%last_played%)" and the first column of the columns bar turns to "$time(%last_played%)". That would require a prefrence page where all the sort patterns from the advanced prefences are listed: here each sort pattern could be assigned with one of the already defined groupings/layouts.

Reply #220
I've been running a test  layout of "Default UI" with playlist viewer "SimPlaylist" and I am trying to replicate the general look and feel of my (well established) "Columns UI" layout...

The built-in playlist viewer of Columns UI (NG Playlist) has two scrollbars, horizontal AND vertical; I only see a vertical scrollbar in SimPlaylist.
I collect much Classical music and my playlist view preference requires an infinitely long (and scrollable) horizontal aspect.

Could the developer or a long time user point me to the setting which activates the horizontal scrollbar, I cannot proceed any further until I resolve this issue, Thankyou.

--

Another issue for me is the default items in the Context Menu...

A fundamental item I need to constantly use is "Open Containing Folder". This item does not appear unless I also press SHIFT on the keyboard.
In "CUI - NG Playlist" there is no need to press SHIFT; it is part of the default Context Menu list.

Could the developer or a long time user point me to the setting which adds the item to the default Context Menu list. I cannot proceed any further until I resolve this issue also, Thankyou.

--

Sorry if my questions are noobish, I have zero experience using DUI.

Reply #221
Preferences > Context Menu.
Check: Open containing folder.

Everything that's checked will appear without holding Shift.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #222
Thanks Andreasvb, I swear I scanned my eye up and down the preferences page before asking that question ...I must be blind.
If you could point me to one more thing... I have added "Playlist Switcher" to the Toolbar; How do I change the Playlist name ? I don't want everything named "New Playlist" ! ...Yes I see an entry under "File -> Rename playlist" IF I HOLD SHIFT KEY, but I just want to right-click on the "Playlist Switcher" and rename the playlist. I believe it's an obvious function that, for some reason, is not included ...very strange.
--

I must say, so far foobar2000+SimPlaylist+WaveformSeekbar+Various Input-Output plugins+A few tools is using up only about 22 MB of memory and startup time and general stability is impressive.
To be honest, my (long time used) Columns UI layout slowly grinds and groans to an 8 second startup and memory usage is around the 200+ MB mark (To be fair, I have many more plugins installed, and a few WSH_Panel_Mod scripted panels).

I am seriously thinking of creating a fresh new layout for myself using "Default UI"... But I need some definite answers from Frank Bicking before committing myself to the task...

I am willing to sacrifice the Colour and Font customizations of "Columns UI - NG Playlist" (for now), but two things I NEED TO HAVE in my Playlist Viewer are:
- Infinitely long horizontal scrollbar, supporting unlimited column sizes
- In-line editing of playlist items

Without those two features I am not wasting any more time on this project.
Frank, what is your roadmap for this component?

Reply #223
- In-line editing of playlist items
I doubt that this feature will ever be implemented: in another context Frank made the traceable argumentation that all the columns are not linked to a tag but to a titleformatting expression. You can use TagBox and place it in your layout: it offers you a more convenient way of tagging your files than inline editing

Reply #224
This means I must add another component ...just for editing standard tags !!?? ...No Thanks.
It also means reducing the size of the Playlist Viewer layout to give screen real estate to a component which, to me, is not necessary.

This "in-line editing" feature, in my opinion, is the logical function of a well designed playlist viewer.

"Frank made the traceable argumentation that all the columns are not linked to a tag but to a titleformatting expression." -- I would like Frank to give me a definite answer on his plans for this component; as I stated before, if in-line editing and horizontal scrolling are not in any way part of the roadmap for this component then that is that; I don't have to come to this thread ever again.

By the way, does anybody here know of a playlist viewer for DUI which has these functions? If it is not existant, then I'm stuck with CUI for the rest of my fb2k life.