Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Folding@Home (Read 28630 times) previous topic - next topic

Folding@Home

Reply #100
I also joined HA's team.

cya

Folding@Home

Reply #101
Me too 

Now , one question !
f@h = Folding at home
g@h = ???????
Kind Regards , Tcmjr

Aka HellSnoopy

Folding@Home

Reply #103
Does anyone know when seti@home is releasing their next big thing?  I remember reading it would be a client under which you could run as many projects as you liked, helping out with folding, genome, and seti all at once if you liked..  it sounded a nice idea, and is why I'm sticking with them..  I just haven't heard anything in the news for ever 
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Folding@Home

Reply #104
Welcome to the team, guys.

Hmm, I haven't heard anything about a new SETI@Home client Mac, so I can't comment on when it'll be out. I run SETI@Home from time to time as well, maybe one WU/week. Having all the major distributed computing projects linked by one client is an interesting idea though. 

<edit> We're nearly into the Top 200 now. </edit>

Folding@Home

Reply #105
Thought I'd bump this up a bit...  The team is now in the top 200 and I'd encourage anyone who's not currently signed up to give it a try.  The Folding@Home client runs in the background and won't effect your other programs.  And, unlike other distributed computing projects, this one actually generates useful scientific data.

Hydrogen Audio's Folding@Home team stats

--------------------
Folding@Home HydrogenAudio.org Team ID# 32639
http://folding.stanford.edu/

Folding@Home

Reply #106
Im amazed the entertainment value ive gotten out of watching my nick rise in the stats. I havent been home for about 2 weeks so my athlon has just been chugging away the whole time. I have a feeling fifth place is as high as im gonna go considering the competition up the ladder  . It was nice to be king.

Folding@Home

Reply #107
Hmm...we don't seem to have very many more people joining up now. We are seemingly stuck at around 50 active processors. Oh well....

Folding@Home

Reply #108
[deleted]

Folding@Home

Reply #109
I might remotely consider this so called folding research if I was to be promised my fair percentage of the profits from any cancer treatment drugs or other "innovations" that will be produced with the help of this research.

*sigh* You haven't read anything about folding@home project at all obviously. One thing which pisses me off are arrogant uninformed people who judge things without better knowledge, be it anything from listening tests to any project, without reading first how things works and what it is all about.

A small quote from the F@H FAQ:

Who "owns" the results? What will happen to them?

Unlike other distributed computing projects, Folding@home is run by an academic institution (specifically the Pande Group, at Stanford University's Chemistry Department), which is a nonprofit institution dedicated to science research and education. We will not sell the data or make any money off of it.

Moreover, we will make the data available for others to use. In particular, the results from Folding@home will be made available on several levels. Most importantly, analysis of the simulations will be submitted to scientific journals for publication, and these journal articles will be posted on the web page after publication. Next, after publication of these scientific articles which analyze the data, the raw data of the folding runs will be available for everyone, including other researchers, here on this web site.
And unlike other projects, F@H has actually already delivered what it promises in the above quote.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Folding@Home

Reply #110
[deleted]

Folding@Home

Reply #111
Sounds to me like I'm donating into a black hole.  I often wonder how many "breakthroughs" and "discoveries" have made by scientists who are stealing^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hmerely standing on the shoulders of others who did the real work.  Who benefits?  When did science become business?

How is creating publicly available information about protein folding same as "donating into a black hole"??.

I suggest you read the F@H forums here:
http://forum.folding-community.org/index.php?c=4
Juha Laaksonheimo

Folding@Home

Reply #112
Edit 2: JohnV, now it looks like you modified your post to include the same quote I already quoted here.  You don't have a last edit date being added being an Admin I guess.

Now? I looked the FAQ and added it there within a minute after my first post. I didn't include anything from your post.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Folding@Home

Reply #113
[deleted]

Folding@Home

Reply #114
Hmm...we don't seem to have very many more people joining up now. We are seemingly stuck at around 50 active processors. Oh well....

Right now, I'm not contributing much 'cause I'm on vacations and I brought my PC with me to my home town, where I don't have a broadband connection. I also have to keep the PC disconnected most of the time 'cause the power supply is pretty irregular, since the big summer fires started here in Portugal.

HOT HOT HOT!

cya

Folding@Home

Reply #115

Right now, I'm not contributing much 'cause I'm on vacations and I brought my PC with me to my home town, where I don't have a broadband connection. I also have to keep the PC disconnected most of the time 'cause the power supply is pretty irregular, since the big summer fires started here in Portugal.

HOT HOT HOT!

cya

Yeah, I've been taking a break also because of the very hot weather since I didn't want to torture my new CPU 
But the worst heat seems to be over, and I'll get back home soon and start folding again.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Folding@Home

Reply #116
I'm testing my cooler's ability to disperse heat and additionally heating up my room - I like it
(oh, it's summer already? well, it's around 30 degrees Celsius outside  )

Anyway, try this little tool to monitor temperature and possibly make your PC quieter - SpeedFan.

Don't forget to set 'shutdown temperature' in your BIOS, to save the computer if cooling system gets dead or less efficient!
ruxvilti'a

Folding@Home

Reply #117
Wow TrNSZ, nobody is saying you HAVE TO join the team hence no need to be so negative about Folding@Home. If you do the research and still think the project is a waste of time/cycles/whatever, then don't get involved. It's that simple. A lot of other people disagree and are interested in the project. I don't care if I don't get paid for this. We're donating our cycles. I'm interested in helping advance this science in some small way.

To the team: I've been focusing on distributed.net for a couple of weeks (I downloaded way too many work units, trying to get through them lol), but will get back to F@H before long.

Folding@Home

Reply #119
Joined.

Folding@Home

Reply #120
Damn, electricity prices around here are much too high for me to donate any cycles now.
ruxvilti'a

Folding@Home

Reply #121
In case anyone cares, the clients have been updated somewhere last week.
Have a look here if you like.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Folding@Home

Reply #122
After primarily being a lurker at this forum, I've just joined the HA.org team after seeing a reference to it in John33's signature.

I currently have two PCs running it under Linux (my P4 server w/ 896MB of RAM, and my PII-333MHz router with 256MB of RAM).  I'll probably set it up on my Windows box tomorrow as well...

Folding@Home

Reply #123
I stopped for a while since I had to use that machine for simulations.  But now, I'm starting again.

Folding@Home

Reply #124
HA still active  . Have joined.

HA Stats:
Active CPUs within 50 days: 43
Team Ranking (incl. aggregate): 235 of 34797