Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Secure ripping on Linux: EACon Wine, Morituri or something else? (Read 1977 times) previous topic - next topic

Secure ripping on Linux: EACon Wine, Morituri or something else?

Hello,

I would like to backup some pieces of my collection as lossless FLAC.
Problem is these are very rare and there is no AccuRip entry for them.
Also I'd prefer to play the CDs as little as possible (hence didn't try yet).

I use Xubuntu as OS. Would you suggest running EAC on Wine or another native Linux program?
Found a thread dating back to 2006 so thought things may have changed in the meantime as far as software available.

Which settings would you recommend to getthe best, safest and obviously most accurate secure rip?

I have heard about people talking about 100% FLAC when a rip is perfect, however I am not sure if that does only mean no errors where logged while ripping.

Thanks for your help

xoxo

Re: Secure ripping on Linux: EACon Wine, Morituri or something else?

Reply #2
I am running the same setup as OP for years and I've tried several native Linux rippers, but I always end up with EAC and CUETools via Wine. A lot of the native tools are not bad at all, but most of them still lack a lot of functionality that tools like EAC and CUETools have.

Reply #3
These days, it's Whipper or nothing. As long as you use a recent version and don't get the odd CD that doesn't work (report it if you do, of course), it just works.
The fact that it uses Musicbrainz is pretty nice too.

Reply #4
A nix port of Foobar would be the last nail in the Windows coffin for me ...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #5
Morituri is abandoned and hasn't seen a release in 5 years.

Whipper works well for me.
Opus 96 kb/s (Android) / Vorbis -q5 (PC) / WavPack -hhx6m (Archive)