Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: reencode to mp3 for a radio... (Read 3547 times) previous topic - next topic

reencode to mp3 for a radio...

hey guys, I need advice.
I run a music radiostation, and at the moment it plays 100% lossless material "on the air".
However, the station has audio pass filter from 30 hz to 16 khz, and I want to convert the lossless files to mp3 with the mentioned lowpass/highpass settings.
The big question is does this decrases quality too much? I know that mp3 is lossy, but I *think* a VBR file has (almost) inaudible differences, considering the frequency responce that I need (30 hz - 16 khz).

What do you think about it? Should I go for it?

Reply #1
Well, why? Output filters will cut those frequencies no matter what you feed to them. If you can keep lossless archive, play them.
If you want to convert them to mp3, check out if your radio hardware/software can handle vbr right. And just, you know, convert them. Let the hardware do the filtering.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #2
Why?  What is your goal?  Smaller files?  How much space do you need to save?

I know that mp3 is lossy, but I *think* a VBR file has (almost) inaudible differences...
It depends on the bitrate (amount of compression) and the audio content.  With high-quality VBR/CBR settings settings (high bitrates) most music will be transparent (sound identical to the original).

If you are not too concerned about file size, the best* VBR setting is LAME V0, and the best CBR setting is 320kbps.  In both cases Joint Stereo is best.   These settings will give you files in the ballpark of 20% of uncompressed the file size.  (CDs are 1411kbps.)  Here are some recommended settings if you need more compression (smaller files).

* Note that we can't really say that 320 is best or better than, for example 128kbps,  if both sound identical to the uncompressed original.    And as I mentioned, it depends on the program material.

Reply #3
hey guys, I need advice.
I run a music radiostation, and at the moment it plays 100% lossless material "on the air".
However, the station has audio pass filter from 30 hz to 16 khz, and I want to convert the lossless files to mp3 with the mentioned lowpass/highpass settings.
The big question is does this decrases quality too much? I know that mp3 is lossy, but I *think* a VBR file has (almost) inaudible differences, considering the frequency responce that I need (30 hz - 16 khz).

What do you think about it? Should I go for it?

It's hard to believe you'd wan to convert to MP3 just for 'fun'. It's also hard to believe space is an issue. My most recent USB drive is 4.33 cents / Gigabyte. BluRay disc is currently 3.2 cents / Gigabyte and getting lower. As far as the response differences go, the existing gear takes care of that with no effort on your part.

So, the real question is: Why?