Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: flac tester...wavpack tester? (Read 11860 times) previous topic - next topic

flac tester...wavpack tester?

Synthetic Soul has a .bat file that uses flac.exe to test the integrity of flac files. flac-test.bat

Does the wavpack.exe come with such a feature (that I haven't found) or is there a third party tester like the flac tester here? flac tester

I'm hoping there is a program that will automate the process instead of using foobar's bit comparator or the md5 sum that the "-m" switch generates due to my assumption that I need the original wav to use as a standard for both of these processes.

Reply #1
Synthetic Soul has a .bat file that uses flac.exe to test the integrity of flac files. flac-test.bat

Does the wavpack.exe come with such a feature (that I haven't found) or is there a third party tester like the flac tester here? flac tester

I'm hoping there is a program that will automate the process instead of using foobar's bit comparator or the md5 sum that the "-m" switch generates due to my assumption that I need the original wav to use as a standard for both of these processes.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The -v option in wvunpack will verify one directory's worth of WavPack files, and if you add the -m option (and the files were encoded with -m) then it will also verify that the md5 sums match. Note that even without md5 sums, WavPack files contain enough error checking to verify for all practical purposes.

The process can also be automated thanks to Synthetic Soul (and there are probably other solutions out there):

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=36099]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=36099[/url]

Reply #2
You can download wv-verify.bat.

Since that thread David has kindly provided a way for my batch files (and other apps) to detirmine which file failed verification.

Download wv-verify.bat, ensure you are using the latest WVUNPACK, and finally amend the line:

Code: [Select]
SET pathToWvUnpack="WVUNPACK.EXE"

.. to point  to your copy of WVUNPACK.EXE (or leave it if WVUNPACK is in your PATH).

You can drag a file or folder onto the batch file to run.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #3
You can download wv-verify.bat.
[...]
You can drag a file or folder onto the batch file to run.
Great idea!  But I can't get the batch file to work.

Every file I try to test returns the same error:
Verifying: "C:\Temp\mix.wv"
File failed verification [ERR#9009]...

1 file(s) verified.
1 file(s) returned an error.

Files that failed verification:

"C:\Temp\mix.wv"

Press any key to exit
I tried changing the "-vm" to -"v", but I get the same error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

~esa

Reply #4
Can I see your line that replaced:

SET pathToWvUnpack="WVUNPACK.EXE"

... please? It works fine for me. 

I can recreate a "9009" error if I use:

SET pathToWvUnpack="XXWVUNPACK.EXE"

'"XXWVUNPACK.EXE"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
File failed verification [ERR#9009]...

It looks like %pathToWvUnpack% is not even being set in your file (which is why CMD is looking at the -vm bit, thinking it's a command).

It may be worth posting the whole file contents into a codebox if you see nothing untoward with the line above.

Edit: To clarify, if, for example, your WVUNPACK.EXE is in "C:\Program Files\WavPack" then the line must be:

SET pathToWvUnpack="C:\Program Files\WavPack\WVUNPACK.EXE"

... unless that folder is in your PATH.

NB: I always suggest to people that they put these apps in system32, so that they can always just use "WVUNPACK.EXE" irrespective of the folder they are in.  It makes messing around with command lines so much easier (e.g.: you can just navigate to the source and work with no paths, just filenames).
I'm on a horse.

Reply #5
D'oh!   

I had the path as:
SET C:\Program Files\Codec\WavPack\4.3="WVUNPACK.EXE"

I've since changed it to:
SET pathToWvUnpack="C:\Program Files\Codec\WavPack\4.3\WVUNPACK.EXE

Now it works perfectly.

Thanks for the clarification, Synthetic Soul...  and the tip about using the system32 folder.

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']edit: spelling[/span]

Reply #6
No probs.  Glad to be of help. 

I'm surprised there isn't some sort of GUI for these things really.

Maybe when I get some time...
I'm on a horse.

Reply #7
I'm surprised there isn't some sort of GUI for these things really.
Me too.  I've tried using the "-v" with Speek's Multi-Frontend, but it returns an error:
outfile specification and verify mode are incompatible!
Press any key to continue. . .
So I really appreciate the batch file.   

Maybe when I get some time...

Reply #8
I use a file's context menu for verifying WVs:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foobar2000.WV\shell\verify]
@="Verify"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foobar2000.WV\shell\verify\command]
@="cmd.exe /c \"\"C:\\Path\\To\\WavPack\\wvunpack.exe\" -mvl \"%1\" & pause\""

Reply #9
Yes, Thank you very much. Had I read further in to the WavUnPack options....

Is there a particular advantage to having 2 .exe files (code and decode)? what would it hurt to make one exe file do both...like lame or flac?

Reply #10
Yes, Thank you very much. Had I read further in to the WavUnPack options....

Is there a particular advantage to having 2 .exe files (code and decode)? what would it hurt to make one exe file do both...like lame or flac?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=355637"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry about the confusion. No, I don't think there is any real advantage to having separate executables. Back in the DOS days this was more common because you tried to keep programs small that had to run fast because you were often bumping into the next larger memory model. In fact, I sort of copied the the DOS versions of ZIP which were pkzip.exe and pkunzip.exe.

Anyway, now that's all irrelevant, but the legacy remains. I have thought about combining the three programs into one binary. This would make it easy to, for example, use WavPack files as compression sources, but it's quite a bit of work.

Reply #11
This is probably a topic in and of itself and been hotly debated for a while, but i'll ask.  I used flac to back up my cd collection. I've been reading about wavpack and have started using wavpack. Besides decoding speed and file size, is there much of a difference? And at the end of the day do the features balance out?

Wavpack decodes a bit slower, but the compression is a bit better. Flac bottoms out at -5/6, thus the options on wavpack seem clearer and more appropriate (fast, normal, high).  Granted these are my impressions. Am i wrong? I've heard that wavpack developement is a bit faster?

I guess i'm trying to choose between the two and am fairly confused...I'm not concerned with 24 bit depth, or high resolution audio. Just cds.

Could some one shed some light on this for me.

Reply #12
it's much better to start a new topic or, even better, ask on one of the many existing ones.

Reply #13
fair enough

Reply #14
I use a file's context menu for verifying WVs:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foobar2000.WV\shell\verify]
@="Verify"

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=355539"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am not sure I am doing this right, but I would like to try the context menu. 

1. I browsed to the "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foobar2000.WV\shell" key, created a new key named "verify" and created a new key under that one called "command".

2. Now, I went to the default values of each of these keys and pasted
@="Verify"
in the first one, and
in the second, changing the path to the location of wvupack.exe.

3. I do get the "verify" context option, but when I select it I get a "choose the program you want to open this file with" dialogue.

Not used to messing with the registry (I know it is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing), so I am not sure where I pooched this up.

Any help?

Reply #15
I am not sure I am doing this right, but I would like to try the context menu. 

[...]

Any help?
I couldn't get that string to work either, so I changed it to call Synthetic Soul's wv-verify.bat, instead.

"C:\Program Files\Codec\WavPack\4.31\wv-verify.bat" "%1"

It works great for single files, but for verifying folders and directories of WavPack files, I put the same string here:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\verifyWV\command]

Hope this helps.

Reply #16
[...]I have thought about combining the three programs into one binary. [...]but it's quite a bit of work.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356036"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Meaning you're considering it for a future release or meaning it's not worth it?
Thanks.
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #17
[...]I have thought about combining the three programs into one binary. [...]but it's quite a bit of work.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356036"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Meaning you're considering it for a future release or meaning it's not worth it?
Thanks.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371180"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am considering it, probably going to --longname options at the same time (running out of letters).

Reply #18
Thanks.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371180"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am considering it, probably going to --longname options at the same time (running out of letters).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371185"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Good news, thanks, hope it won't eat at your fun time too much  .
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #19
Good news, thanks, hope it won't eat at your fun time too much  .
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371190"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What do you mean?

That is my fun time!