Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Do you scan in your album covers?

Yes, I scan the covers only.
[ 23 ] (9.9%)
Yes, I scan all the artwork.
[ 19 ] (8.2%)
No, I use a program or manually download the album art.
[ 96 ] (41.4%)
No, I don't use album art.
[ 89 ] (38.4%)
Other, please explain.
[ 5 ] (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Topic: Do you scan in your album covers? (Read 12939 times) previous topic - next topic

Reply #25
I rarely ever bother with scanning (I usually use images from Amazon.com). The only purpose I have for album art is a thumbnail plugin for Winamp so 300x300 images are fine for me.

Here's an example:
Acid8000 aka. PhilDEE

Reply #26
For the sake of information I always scan everything, CD, stickers, booklet... everything. That's as important as having the music. I like to know what I can about the albums.

Reply #27
Yes. I do make 300 ppi scans of all the covers of the album I rip to FLAC,

Reply #28
I use the Amazon Album Art widget for all my music.

Reply #29
I scan nothing because I've been lucky enough to get all the 600x600 stuff from iTMS before Apple blocked the downloads of those.  For everything else, I get most from buy.com as their 500x500 stuff is pretty darned good quality.

This brings up a question:  Is it necessary to scan at anything more than 300dpi?

Reply #30
I agree with the second poster.  I listen to the music.  If the covers download automatically all the better.  Scanning in all of the album art and stickers and printing on the top of the CD is pretty lame.  Go buy the CD...you get all of that stuff with it.

Reply #31
I agree with the second poster.  I listen to the music.  If the covers download automatically all the better.  Scanning in all of the album art and stickers and printing on the top of the CD is pretty lame.  Go buy the CD...you get all of that stuff with it.

That's not what's this about! I got over 700 CD's, all original, and I've had the bad luck to borrow some that simply came back to my hands damaged or scratched, others have just disappeared... [too much time borrowed I'm afraid]. If I hadn't made a lossless archive with the scans in it, then I would have to buy it again right? By the line of your thought we could go all the way back to lossy 'cause you don't seem to care much about having the 'whole package' in a virtual kind of way. Lame? I'll tell you what's lame... It's when you rip something at 192Kbps or higher and say that you won't notice the difference from the original. Now that's Lame encoding!

Reply #32

Ha!  To you, I'd be double triple lame.  I don't scan just artwork---I also try to scan all the liner note pages.  I do this if it's a "book" format.  For the large multi-foldout ones, I don't bother.

But I had a lot of help.  I had some neighborhood kids scan in my artwork (liner notes) of my original CDs.  Kids are great for mindless repetitive tasks like that and they don't cost too much per hour.

I don't do things like "reprint" the artwork on a burned CD (duh I already own the original CD).  However, it's just easier to flip through liner notes on computer screen vs handling the booklet by hand.  I want all my CDs stored away in the attic but I also want to be quickly find out who the drummer was on track #4.  The only way to quickly look up those things is to scan in the whole booklet.  There's no music database I know of that has all this metadata.

Flipping through physical booklets and liner notes is really what's lame.  That's so archaic.  I wish every CD just came with a PDF file.  I think that would conserve a lot of trees.

You actually listen to the music on the CD?!?!  Really?!?!  Me...I just look at the pictures in the booklet.  It took a lot of courage to admit that.  Come to think of it, I'm not sure why I even bothered to rip my CDs since I've never heard a single note of music on them!

Reply #33
I don't bother with album art at all, but I have considered it on occassion.

I used to like going through my brother's vinyl collection was I was younger, all the inner sleeves had lyrics and there was a certain smell to it.

I rarely look through a CD booklet though.

I don't have a scanner at home or at work, and if I started scanning my CD artwork I'd probably just find yet another thing to be anal about, which I really don't have the time for.  Best I just forget about it now.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #34
This brings up a question:  Is it necessary to scan at anything more than 300dpi?
It all depends on the printing process. With raster printing (i.e. 99% of the time) what you really need is "descreening".

There's an article somewhere IIRC that even explains for some special cases, it is better to scan at 150dpi instead of 300, as it assists the descreening process... can't seem to find it again.

That said, when I scan, I scan at 150dpi (faster), descreen, muck things up, and if not satisfied, re-scan at 200dpi, descreen, and if still not satisfied, at 300dpi, descreen.

No need to use 600dpi.

Reply #35
I don't bother with album art at all, but I have considered it on occassion.

That's cool.  I just thought moheeb's veiled insult was hilarious.

I say there's a sliding scale of "lameness" we all fall into.  A continuum like this:

Level 1 :  "I don't listen to music.  You actually waste time listening to music?  That's so lame!"
  (I read that Sergio Brin, founder of Google, doesn't like to listen to music.)

Level 2:  "I just listen to satellite radio or whatever's playing in the elevator/restaurant.  I don't bother buying any CDs.  You actually buy CDs?  You actually buy songs from iTunes? That's so lame!"

Level 3:  "The CDs I buy, I just play them on my Wal-mart taiwan player.  You actually got one of those audiophile components?  That's so lame!"

Level 4:  "I just pop the CD on my nice player whenever I want to hear it... you actually rip the CD to a harddrive?  That's so lame!"

Level 5:  "I just rip the CD to listen to the music.  You actually try to get the artwork?  That's so lame"

Level 6:  "I just grab the artwork to make looking up things convenient.  You actually print it out on a color printer and wallpaper your living room with it?  Decorating your house like that is so lame.  And you use it as a screensaver too?!?!  That's too lame... you need help"

(In my case,  I have the Michael Jackson Thriller album as my screensaver and also framed it for my formal living area.  I would say I'm probably beyond Level 6.  Unlike moheeb, I've never listened to the music on it---I've been deaf since I was an infant.)

I rarely look through a CD booklet though.

Some CDs I don't bother with.  But some CDs are very cryptic and the only way to know who performed/wrote/produced/whatever the track is to look at the liner notes.  The Telarc label classical CDs were cool because they explained what microphones and equipment was used.  I work in the recording biz so dissecting CDs is helpful to me.

It depends on the type of CD.  It depends on the type of person.  It depends if you even have time/energy to mess with it.

Reply #36
Okay, I find this a bit creepy. He pays kids to scan his art from him, and doesn't listen to music because he's deaf (and on an audio forum?) and wallpapers his room with an album cover...

No offense, but wtf?
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #37
Okay, I find this a bit creepy. He pays kids to scan his art from him, and doesn't listen to music because he's deaf (and on an audio forum?) and wallpapers his room with an album cover...

No offense, but wtf?

Did I take my sarcasm too far?

Reply #38
LOL wylistener, you should put <sarcasm> </sarcasm> there

Reply #39
My genre of humour, replying to sarcasm literally, is apparently not took as humour by many.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

Reply #40
I don't scan/DL album art.
No Scanner, too Lazy, dried out and sucking epson-printer (there's no bottle-tuning available here pepoluan )

Well, and it's just not the same on that damn screen, I want to hold that booklet relaxed in my hands, not read it on the nasty screen.
I love booklets, the bigger the better, with lots of artwork and songtexts and and and...
too bad that they are quite expensive and many bands just use that poor famished inlay cards.