Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sansa Fuze vs Ipod Touch 4th Generation for Sound Quality only (Read 20115 times) previous topic - next topic

Sansa Fuze vs Ipod Touch 4th Generation for Sound Quality only

Reply #50
Soap,
[...]You said it could player ALAC lossless decoded and transmitted digitally (The Ipod), but I was wandering what the difference between decoded audio digitally transmitted over USB and transmitting undecoded audio files over usb and play them on the hifi (assuming they will even if they may not because we don't know yet).

I said that, btw. If that CD player could decode ALAC or other lossless formats (which I could bet the house it can't) it would be the same. But now we're almost sure that it can't decode lossless, and we're not sure that it can read files from a USB disk/stick. You're asking the wrong questions, you've been warned about TOS #8 before. The drawbacks for me (and I think lots of people) of playing directly from a disk/stick is that the interface is almost always awful, and lack of options like Sound Check or Replay Gain. Another advantage of iPod direct USB connection is that you can usually control the music with your device's remote.

You also said "USB is a digital "pipe". RCA is a connector type. AUX is an input label", ok, I understand they are different but they are all separate inputs on my hifi, would going through AUX or RCA give worse quality sound from my lineout on my fuze? Sorry.

You misunderstand this. AUX is just the name of an input. It can have RCA connectors, or 3.5mm stereo, or whatever else. RCA is a physical type of connector. It can be used to pass analog or digital audio, analog video, and other stuff. USB is a protocol for digital connection that uses its own type of connectors. Besides the iPod, audio over USB (as in LPCM) is not used anywhere else that I know, at least not in the consumer space.

Sansa Fuze vs Ipod Touch 4th Generation for Sound Quality only

Reply #51
Just buy an ipod and be done with it.  The Apple kit isn't always the best or the cheapest, but it usually does the right thing without being complicated.  In your situation thats probably the best option.