Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can Foobar EQ correct for new preamp sound that is too laid-back/rich/warm? (Read 1062 times) previous topic - next topic

Can Foobar EQ correct for new preamp sound that is too laid-back/rich/warm?

Recently purchased a new Simaudio Moon 390 preamp (combination preamp/music streamer/DAC) to go with Moon monoblocks and Revel Salon Ultima 2 speakers.
Would have to admit somewhat mixed feelings about the preamp purchase :the ability to use Tidal's library  is fantastic - - however there is a big "BUT" here.
Had read many positive reviews about the Moon 390 and some had called the sound "warm" and "rich" etc.
To my ear the 390 is far too "laid-back"/ warm/rich and lacks the feeling of "presence" which I had with the previous older amplifier.
Obviously cannot do anything to alter the sound of the streamed music but also have a vast database of downloaded hi-quality FLAC files and ripped CDs played on the PC via USB connection to the Moon preamp.
My question is whether using Foobar equalisation via  a preset can compensate at all for the perceived shortcoming of the preamp when playing audio files via the PC.
Will the use of Foobar  Equaliser  degrade the sound, that is will it be counter productive?
Am I kidding myself that such an idea is worthwhile?
Any other suggestions including best preset or alternative equaliser or other ideas for improving the sound of FLAC/WAV files played from PC would be much appreciated.     Thanks

Re: Can Foobar EQ correct for new preamp sound that is too laid-back/rich/warm?

Reply #1
For system-wide EQ I'd suggest Equalizer APO with the Peace user interface. I use this for my speakers to reduce the overly bassy output which helps a great deal. I have it configured per device so my headphones are unaffected.

As for what to set the actual EQ'ing to that's up to you. Others might have further thoughts.

Re: Can Foobar EQ correct for new preamp sound that is too laid-back/rich/warm?

Reply #2
Any other suggestions including best preset or alternative equaliser or other ideas for improving the sound of FLAC/WAV files played from PC would be much appreciated.     Thanks

The concept of "improving the sound" is so subjective to the individual that all I can recommend is to use a tool that offers maximum flexibility in making that sound sound best to YOU.   As far as equalizers, I use xnor's foo_dsp_xgeq (https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_xgeq), a "modest" choice but it allows me all the "noodling room" I need to get my own preferred sound.  If you go the VST route, the sky is the limit as to the choices out there.