Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Having an expensive power cable isn't enough... (Read 4058 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Having an expensive power cable isn't enough...

Reply #1
... you also need an audiophile-grade utility pole outside your house:
as well as being a TWSJ subscriber in order to read the story: ::)

To Read the Full Story, Subscribe or Sign In

Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #2
“It’s completely beyond my understanding,” says his wife, Reiko, 57. “But if I take it away from him, he will lose the motivation to live.

A scholar of audiophile culture, professor Tsutomu Nakano at Tokyo’s Aoyama Gakuin University, posits that the beauty of sound is in the ear of the listener.

“We don’t decide whether a wine is good based on an analysis of its chemical composition. Sound is similar,” he says. “It involves the power of imagination, something sacred.”

He met a utility-company engineer who disputed the notion that a pole would make any difference. “He was so adamant,” he says, “and that actually made me want to install it more.”

I mean, if he has his heart set on it more power to him!

Reply #3
http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-gift-for-music-lovers-who-have-it-all-a-personal-utility-pole-1471189463

Pre-pole, he says, the vocals didn’t sound as lively as this

Interesting how certain cultural beliefs that appear to be widespread in Japan support such things.

If only it matters - I have 4 utility poles with power lines on them, two with step-down transformers,  on my property, and a minimal length underground connection from the nearest pole to my home's electrical entry point. Decades of experience with this system support the idea that it is the large scale electrical distribution network upstream from here  that is the controlling influence.

Reply #4
as well as being a TWSJ subscriber in order to read the story: ::)

To Read the Full Story, Subscribe or Sign In

That's odd. I'm definitely not a WSJ subscriber, but I can see the full article. Anyway, I originally found the article via Gizmodo:
http://gizmodo.com/obsessed-audiophiles-in-japan-are-installing-their-own-1785291714
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #5
OMG....

I'll start a business, selling this guys listening rooms with controlled air pressure and composition of the gases (oxygen, nitrogen etc.).

.halverhahn

Reply #6
That's odd. I'm definitely not a WSJ subscriber, but I can see the full article.
Nice, made me curious and checked. Apparently you need the subscription if you're in the US. Opened a private Firefox window with a VPN in London and could see it. Just connecting to the VPN in the regular non-private session didn't work, probably cause there was a WSJ cookie already set.

Reply #7
I'll start a business, selling this guys listening rooms with controlled air pressure and composition of the gases (oxygen, nitrogen etc.).
What if one, erm, passes wind? Does said controlled room account for that kinf of disturbance in the force? :))
União e reconstrução

Reply #8
Methane is a greenhouse gas, so it will just make the sound warmer. Even better!

Reply #9
ROFL, Andy. :)) :D   
União e reconstrução

Reply #10
Could be worth it. Back when I grew up (insert random "four Yorkshiremen" reference here), the voltage was really waaaay off until we finally nagged the company into putting up a transformer outside our house.
Sorry for not providing TOS8-compliant log over the improvement. Hard to do a blind test when the "Power on" suddenly started to light up.

Reply #11
Might be cheaper to build your own small power station.

Reply #12
Being cheaper is not what this is about. You should rather look for a solution which is even more expensive to make any impact at all.  ;)

Reply #13
Could be worth it. Back when I grew up (insert random "four Yorkshiremen" reference here), the voltage was really waaaay off until we finally nagged the company into putting up a transformer outside our house.
Sorry for not providing TOS8-compliant log over the improvement. Hard to do a blind test when the "Power on" suddenly started to light up.
But I guess that voltage improvement didn't result in "more lively vocals"...
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #14
But I guess that voltage improvement didn't result in "more lively vocals"...

Sure not? There was at least a very pronounced difference in Grandpa's beard only within minutes after the shaver started to work ;-)

Later, in the students' dorms, there power line was so bad that you could hear scratches in your speakers and see a stripe across your telly when certain equipment on a different floor was turned on. Lights could be flickering as well. 

(I know nothing about Japanese power lines though.)

Reply #15

The tool of choice for investigating possible line voltage funnies is called a Variac.  They have a knob that varies the line voltage from either zero or just a few, to max input voltage or sometimes 5-10 volts more than that.  I have a humgeous 20 amp one that weighs a lot and came from a war surplus store in the 70's.  I found that some power amps put out useful amounts of clean power (like 10-23 watts) with as little as 20 volts power input.