Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: '*-Bots' showing up more often? (Read 2489 times) previous topic - next topic

'*-Bots' showing up more often?

I noticed lately on the forum statistics that there a couple of '-bots' showing up with some regularity. Is it just because of the latest forum updates that these are being recognized? And have they always been around but just not showing uop until recently?

In particular Googlebot and Hotbot.

Reply #1
I noticed lately on the forum statistics that there a couple of '-bots' showing up with some regularity. Is it just because of the latest forum updates that these are being recognized? And have they always been around but just not showing uop until recently?

In particular Googlebot and Hotbot.

I see a "Hot Bot" in the member list right now, as a matter of fact.  If these bots are trying to be discreet in their presence, I think it's funny that they are getting a "flag stuck in them" by showing up in the logged-in-list.

So are these kind of things usually benign, such as seeking popular topics by someone with good intentions?  Or are they usually malevolent by, for example, enabling advertising, or worse...?  Have there been any automated postings/responses here by any bots?

And if these are RIAA spybots, I'm gonna be pi**ed!!! 

Reply #2
And if these are RIAA spybots, I'm gonna be pi**ed!!!  

Invision Board 1.2 is so to say "searchbot friendly". Bots have been here before but now the board makes it easier for them to index topics. Not sure why the admins here opted to make them visible to all users