Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: speexenc and ogg123 - very slow/low playback (Read 4168 times) previous topic - next topic

speexenc and ogg123 - very slow/low playback

Not sure where the problem is exactly but im on a Gentoo GNU/Linux system and have successfully compiled speex and the rest of the ogg tools. I've taken (multiple) wav files and did a:

Code: [Select]
speexenc sourcefile.wav results.spx

and played the speex file with:

Code: [Select]
forever:bkeating> ogg123 results.spx

Audio Device:   Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) output

Playing: documents/longnow/SALT/salt-speex/salt-jun02004-sterling-public.spx
Ogg Speex stream: 1 channel, 8000 Hz, narrowband mode
Time: 12:23:73 [267:55:63] of 280:28:04 ( 16.0 kbps) Output Buffer 96.9%

and it plays at half the pitch, possibly more.. super slow and low (not volume but pitch). I also put on -V on speexenc and no errors were given. No errors anywhere, but the playback is slow and no where near useful.

What gives?

*EDIT: And ogg123 plays back vorbis files /just/ fine.

speexenc and ogg123 - very slow/low playback

Reply #1
and it plays at half the pitch, possibly more.. super slow and low (not volume but pitch). I also put on -V on speexenc and no errors were given. No errors anywhere, but the playback is slow and no where near useful.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=233967"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you checked that the original file was encoded properly? For example, if you took a 44.1 kHz raw file and didn't tell speexenc it was 44.1 kHz (default is 8 kHz for raw files), then speexdec will try to play at 8 kHz and you get this kind of problem.