Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Factory made, price < 500 €/$
[ 386 ] (53.6%)
Factory made, price < 1000 €/$
[ 124 ] (17.2%)
Factory made, price < 2000 €/$
[ 80 ] (11.1%)
Factory made, price > 2000 €/$
[ 78 ] (10.8%)
Self made, prepared Kit, price < 800 €/$
[ 10 ] (1.4%)
Self made, prepared kit, price < 2000 €/$
[ 5 ] (0.7%)
Self made, prepared kit, price > 2000 €/$
[ 1 ] (0.1%)
Self made, own design and constr. < 800 €/$
[ 16 ] (2.2%)
Self made, own design and constr. < 2000 $
[ 13 ] (1.8%)
Self made, own design and constr. > 2000 $
[ 7 ] (1%)

Total Members Voted: 1252

Topic: What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ? (Read 295361 times) previous topic - next topic

What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ?

Reply #175
M-Audio Audiophile -> Yamaha RX-V800 -> Klipsch Reference series RF-3s.

Reply #176
I have Celestion F15 speakers with one old Sansui amplifier (this amplifier is of mid 70's). I like a lot of Sansui amplifier, this sound very clear and warm.

Reply #177
Revel Salon. 

Reply #178
Front: 2*Gale 3020
Centre: Gale 3050C
Surrounds: 2*Gale Silver Monitor + Gale Centre 10
Sub: Eltax Atomic 8.2 fitted with Sony driver
Powered off a Yamaha HTR-5640 (aka RX-V640) 6.1 amplifier
Inputs: Direct Drive Turntable, Sony SACD player,  Soundblaster Audigy 2

Despite not being too expensive, gives a very clear sound I am very happy with 

Reply #179
I have these JBL speakers:

Reply #180
i have a Music system from Aiwa model-Nsx K580

Reply #181
Magnepan MMG. I have to say that after listening to planars (first Final 0.3 then Maggies), I will never go back to boom boxes. Planars flat out beat them.

Reply #182
a couple weeks ago I bought these

for about $500USD -- around 70% off (b-stock)

New level of detail  -- makes all my okay recordings before sound like shit now, lol, oh well..

-Joe

Reply #183
I have a pretty simple setup.

Source -> Apple AirPort Express
Preamp -> Doxa 012
Amplifier -> Doxa 70 Signature MKII
Speakers -> B&W 805S with B&W stands.

Total cost ~USD 6000

Reply #184
Monitor Audio MA4 Series 1 - bought in the 70s! Slightly lacking at the very top end due to not-as-good tweeters but the bass is addictively good :-)

Nice ported design, and handed too, they're a pair and carry the same serial number.

Reply #185
I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. I have both the Monitor Audio S8's and S10's on trial and can't decide which I want to go for yet. Some music sounds better on the S8's, other music better on the S10's. I'll vote if and when I make a decision.

Audiophile 24/96 > Arcam Diva A85 > MA S8/S10

I did try Kef Q7s too, they went back within the week, the S10's were alot better.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=77266"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting. I don't follow the latest models on these things, but MA used to use KEF drivers years back, and they always sounded better than KEF's own cabinets IMO. I still have 70s MA4!

Reply #186
My "good" stereo system has been replaced by a computer driven system with a Lynx AES16 soundcard, Benchmark DAC1, and Genelec 1030A Monitors.

Reply #187
I use a pair of Rega Cambers with rotgut 12-gauge MonsterCable wires to my 100wpc Adcom stack. Very good sound for the price. Vinyl especially good. I use a Grado cartridge on an SME Series III titanium nitride arm mounted on a Kenwood KD-500 (Kenwood's attempt to build a high-end direct-drive turntable. The only D-D I have every used or liked. Turntable base is cast out of concrete!)

I also STILL have some old Dynaco A-25's! I replaced the tweeters with updated equivalents from SEAS, the Danish company that built them in the first place. I also upgraded the capacitors.

They sat in my attic for YEARS! To my surprise, the woofer surrounds were still supple (butyl rubber, not cloth). First impression is that they may be a little bass-shy, but the enclosure, a variation of transmission line, damps the lower frequencies very well, but when low bass is really there in the material, there is ample genuine bass - at least in my room.

Cello and string bass are astonishing, as is male voice - none of the flabbiness or tubbiness many speakers - including some expensive ones - pass off as bass.

I was so amazed at how good they still sounded after all these years, I spent a little money for the aforementioned upgrades and now they sound even better! More open and detailed high end is the main difference, but the basic character of the speaker is the same.

For my desktop computer I use Cambridge Soundworks. I plan on doing more with music on the computer, so I am looking seriously at M-Audio or Tascam compact near-field monitors to replace these basically gaming speakers.

My laptop (which has become my primary computer) has typically TERRIBLE speakers but the NVidia audio subsystem is actually quite decent. With it I use a lovely $180 pair of Sennheiser cans. The Sennheisers really are great for hearing just how good (or not so good) my encodes are.

Reply #188
for mp3/monkey's audio, i use the horrific analog out of my soundblaster 5.1 digital (saving up for a better soundcard and DAC, but it's not a huge priority at the moment), into my nad 1155 preamp, into my hafler SE240 (120wpc@8ohm, 200wpc@4ohm) amp, then either into my Stax SR-Xmk3 headphones, or my Magnepan MG-IIIa speakers.  The ribbon tweeter is relentless on MP3 artifacts and such.  Unfortunately the ribbons are in Minnesota being rebuilt, and I've been maggie-less for a while now.  Very depressing... ah well...

My normal CD player is an old Sony CDP-620ES.  Laugh all you want, it sounds pretty good!

My equipment isn't up to par with my speakers, as I spend all my money on stuff for my bass guitar fetish

--jeff
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=9757"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hah, funny seeing that.  Things have changed:
California Audio Labs Icon MKII HDCD player or Audiophile 24/96 ---> DH Labs D-75 coaxial digital interconnect ---> Benchmark DAC1 ---> Cardas CrossLink XLR ---> Bryston 4B SST ---> Kimber 8TC (woofer)/4TC (tweeter) ---> Totem Forest speakers

edit: now CAL Icon MKII ---> Cardas Goden Ref RCA ---> Pass Labs X2 ---> Cardas Golden Ref XLR ---> Pass Labs X250.5 ---> Kimber 8TC/4TC ---> Totem Forests

Reply #189
Foobar -> Chaintech AV-710 -> Toslink -> TacT S2150 -> solid 12-gauge THHN bi-wire -> Von Schwiekert VR4-Jrs.

Pretty good sound.

Reply #190
not an audiophile or anything d:-)
have very old bose speakers outside in the hall .

on the comp using onboard Realtek AC97 Audio.
..with altec lansing ATP30 speakers, may get a soundcard soon.
good enough for me.

-

Reply #191
B&W 703 in stereo setup
i love them

Reply #192
Speakers that came with my Denon UD-M30 Stereo, made by Mission SC-M50
:Foobar 2000:
:MPC --standard:
:iRiver H320 Rockboxed:

Reply #193
Years ago, I used to build custom tube preamps and power amps - I would take the chassis from older Dynaco gear and hotrod away (I am a BSEE from MIT). Big cables and Celestion SL6s monitors.

After many ABX tests and real-life considerations, I dumped it all. Now I use a Bose Lifestyle 5 series II (about 10 years old now). Sounds great, FAR better performance under real living conditions. The bass module/cube satellite setup is far better suited to my home, especially with children (I have 2, still very rambunctious!). It has held up beautifully over time, and I would replace it with another similar system.

I just plug the iPod headphone out into the AUX inputs for now. Might get some docking solution later, but it doesn't matter much. The iPod sounds very good through the Bose system.

I am interested in a solution that ties the very large music library on my server to the stereo, but thus far aesthetics and other practical matters have held that notion at bay. Could be as simple as an Apple Express device, or something far more complex. I will wait a bit and see what develops.

For my other systems, I dumped the fancy cables and went with ordinary stuff. Again, ABX tests revealed to me how much I was allowing "buzz" to influence my listening. As an engineer, I find no value whatsoever in the cable arguments. Just my $0.02 on that subject.

Reply #194
Magnepan MMG. I have to say that after listening to planars (first Final 0.3 then Maggies), I will never go back to boom boxes. Planars flat out beat them.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=329069"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Amen brother!  I have the MG 1.6's and fell in love with their clarity.  I liken them to the Etymotic ER4's I have as well.  Not bass heavy, totally neutral, but will ferret out bad recordings/encodings.

Reply #195
VMPS RM/x as mains; VMPS RM-30's as surrounds. Bryston and NuForce for amps. I listened to a LOT of gear before I chose these.

If you like planars, listen to a pair of RM-30's.

Reply #196
Danish made Dali Suite 2.8 Silver (www.dali.dk) 1000€/pair. They sound veeeeeery nice, although I don't see myself as a real audiophile. Should have choosen Dali Concept 10 instead though (same price) if I wanted to play loud with the same great sound quality.

Got a Harman/Kardon AVR130 surround receiver, but should have got a larger one...

Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #197
Baby baby baby baby...you can't beat late '70's amps. As posted previously, I'm the proud owner of a 1978 Marantz 2285b black-faced edition. It's powering a pair of Fisher XP9b's. These are unique speakers in that they are 4-way: a 12", two different types of 4", and a silk-dome tweeter. They're stiff on most types of music, but occasionally surprise the hell out of me with shine and image on jazz and classical music.

Perhaps I don't have the best ears, but I've never been able to distinguish a good $400-$500 set of speakers from a good $1500 set of speakers. In fact I'd guess the imperfect acoustics of my family room contribute more to degradation of the sound than the speakers do, so unless I'm going to move to a house specially designed for optimal acoustic properties...

The difference is...the difference is that you have to sit and listen for it. At some point, yes, they'll sound similar, but the more expensive speakers with reveal a third dimension to the sound. In addition to left and right, you'll hear up and down, and even forward and backward.

Reply #198
Room I am in the most I alternate between a set of Dynaco A-25's and a set of UTAH wd-66's

My listening room has AR-LST for my jazz and classical and Pioneer HPM 60's for rock/metal

My livingroom has a set of B&W CM 4's and a set of ALTECS I never use anymore.

In addition I have  set of MB Quart 390's on loan to a friend

Eventually gonna get my Quad ESL's

Reply #199
These speakers:

...though in a very dark brown veneer. Great sounding speakers for 5,000€.