Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to force PCM to be upsampled "on the fly" to DSD  (Read 2483 times) previous topic - next topic

How to force PCM to be upsampled "on the fly" to DSD

Basically I want to have foobar output everything I play as DSD64 (regardless of whether it is PCM or DSD)

I have a DSD capable DAC (Benchmark DAC3) and I use foobar to play everything and thus far it plays bit perfect FLAC and DSD.
I am wondering is there a way to force F2k to upsample/resample PCM to DSD64.

I have searched the forum and cannot find a clear answer and everything I have tried fails - I am sure I am missing a key step somewhere

Re: How to force PCM to be upsampled "on the fly" to DSD

Reply #1
Basically I want to have foobar output everything I play as DSD64 (regardless of whether it is PCM or DSD)

I have a DSD capable DAC (Benchmark DAC3) and I use foobar to play everything and thus far it plays bit perfect FLAC and DSD.

I have searched the forum and cannot find a clear answer and everything I have tried fails - I am sure I am missing a key step somewhere

Google search

Reply #2
You need the SACD plugin (foo_input_sacd) which comes with the DSD processor plugin. You can get it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_input_sacd/

Instructions on how to set up the DSD processor can be found here, scroll down to option 3: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/digital/pc-software/foobar-2000-for-dummies-part-3-new-experimental-sacd-plugin-v-0-9-x/

Reply #3

I have a lot of experience in this area. Review the Foobar Configuration Settings chart and change 512 to 64 for your application. Foobar will handle YouTube as well, changing the audio stream to DSD on-the-fly.
♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫♪
  ꂵ꒐ꏳꁝꁲꑀ꒒ ꉣꊿꌅꋖꑀꌅ

Reply #4

I have a lot of experience in this area. Review the Foobar Configuration Settings chart and change 512 to 64 for your application. Foobar will handle YouTube as well, changing the audio stream to DSD on-the-fly.

You don't need to open Task Manager to set prority to RealTime.
1st It's killing the machine and doesn't do much.
2nd If you still want it just create a batch file and put one line in it:
@start ""/'Prioritylevel' "ApplicationPath"

Prioritylevel numbers
Low 64
Below Normal 16384
Normal 32
Above Normal 32768
High 128
Realtime 256

IMHO High should do the trick for you.

Another option is to save to following to a file with .reg extension and run it as Administrator:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\foobar2000.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\foobar2000.exe\PerfOptions]
"CpuPriorityClass"=dword:00000003

Here's why Microsoft does not recommend Real Time:
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20100610-00/?p=13753#:~:text=It's%20higher%20priority%20than%20nearly,no%20cycles%20for%20anything%20else.