Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMPTSE (Read 311988 times) previous topic - next topic

WMPTSE

Reply #125
grommet is correct. And WMPTSE doesn't handle it right now.

It is an on-going feature and won't be supported when tagging standard doesn't. I'm considering "bridging" the 'separator' policy with the 'mutlitag' policy, but it may end up in confusing users.

I am a bit puzzled on this specific question for the moment.

For the rest, i am not sure to understand...

Are you talking about modifiying tags in WMP after retagging in dbPowerAmp and inserting them in MediaLibrary or are talking about something else ?

MaB_fr
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362898"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry for the confusion. My real problem is that I have over 40,000 tracks (75% lossless the rest Q98) which have all been tagged by WMP (and lots of extra work by me to correct any errors in the Win media DB). I'm trying to find a way to use flac versions of my library to fit in better with Slimserver/squeezebox to avoid the server side conversion. I'd like to have only one version of the files with a set of tags which support at least the level of tagging capabilities I currently have. As long as I can regenerate another form without losing tag info, I don't really care what format I keep as the master format in my library.

I was hopeful that WMPTSE would help a posible move to flac as the master format, but the loss of info (first by dBpoweramp and then by WMPTSE) seem to make that impossible.

In an ideal world I would have liked the conversion to flac to have transformed the WMP tags, rather than just including them, with no loss of info. Then the import into WMP (via your plug-in) would 'find' the tags there, 'find' the media info and not update any tags. Similarly reconversion back to WMA format would transform the tags back to WMA/ tags.

My alternative is to keep a slave flac library (what's another TB or so!  )

WMPTSE

Reply #126
WMA metadata is unique in that it supports multiple names for Artist, Composer, etc.  (WMP 10 supports this.)  They are stored as separate entries, instead of a single metadata entry with delimeters between the names.

this is how FLAC and Vorbis tags work too.

In general, support is rare and most programs just pay attention to the first entry.  This is probably what you are seeing and why you lose information.

maybe dbpoweramp is just not transferring them all.

Josh

WMPTSE

Reply #127
In general, support is rare and most programs just pay attention to the first entry.  This is probably what you are seeing and why you lose information.

Josh
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363057"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Correct. That's what I see in the header of the converted file. Even wma to wma conversions cause this loss.

WMPTSE

Reply #128

Josh
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363057"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Correct. That's what I see in the header of the converted file. Even wma to wma conversions cause this loss.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363069"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok, i should point that i can not be held responsible for the other's program behaviour

I checked the tagging browsing algorithm in WMPTSE as it was in 0.9.9.2 and there's no reason why a file with multiple values for the same "tag key" couldn't be displayed in WMP as expected. So, 'dbPowerAmp' modulo apart, it should be displayed correctly. If it's not the case, this a bug, and i ask you to ensure that your files contain the meta-tags in a compatible format, all tags and headers well-formed, and beg you to report to us if WMPTSE continue to display it incorrectly.

The problem rest for semi-colon separated (or whatelse) multi tagging policy (APE tags can be specified that way...).

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #129
Ok, i should point that i can not be held responsible for the other's program behaviour

Nor should you be! The dBpoweramp problem belongs in a separate thread. The only connection is that the resultant flac file does not have several tags that you are looking for - the composer tag is one such tag.

I checked the tagging browsing algorithm in WMPTSE as it was in 0.9.9.2 and there's no reason why a file with multiple values for the same "tag key" couldn't be displayed in WMP as expected. So, 'dbPowerAmp' modulo apart, it should be displayed correctly. If it's not the case, this a bug, and i ask you to ensure that your files contain the meta-tags in a compatible format, all tags and headers well-formed, and beg you to report to us if WMPTSE continue to display it incorrectly.

The problem rest for semi-colon separated (or whatelse) multi tagging policy (APE tags can be specified that way...).

MaB_fr
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363166"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe I'm not being clear!

I have a file with No composer tag (even though it does have an unused WMA/Composer tag). I also have "Add metatag if not already present" checked for your plug-in.

So the display of composer in WMP is blank. Title, Artist and Album and Genre seem to be displayed correctly at this time.

Performing a "Find Album info" at this point causes the composer field to be filled in with the found info, from whichever DB you use, as "composer-1; composer-2".

Also at this point, a COMPOSER tag is written to the file, but containing only "composer-1". I presume the multi-composer info is cached by WMP in its separate DB from the file.

So if I delete the file from the WMP library at this point, all memory of "composer-2" gets lost. This is presumably because that info existed only in WMP's internal DB and not in the tag in the file.

So, re-importing the file into WMP at this point will show the "composer-1" content from the tag.

This behaviour is very easy to reproduce and doesn't require the conversion step I described, merely a track which has multiple composers.

WMPTSE

Reply #130
If it's not the case, this a bug, and i ask you to ensure that your files contain the meta-tags in a compatible format, all tags and headers well-formed, and beg you to report to us if WMPTSE continue to display it incorrectly.

MaB_fr

As an extra data point, if  I manually edit the composer tag in the file and import it into WMP with "Add metatag if not already present" UNchecked for the plug-in, the manually entered data is displayed correctly.

If I check the "Add metatag if not already present", the plug-in does not seem to recognise that the tag is present and dynamically obtains the info, displaying the correct info, but causing the tag to be overwritten with only the first composer.

WMPTSE

Reply #131
Just to make it clear to others reading this thread... the "semi-colon" used in the WMP 10 GUI for multiple names in a field does not mean a semi-colon is actually stored.  It's used as a visual delimiter for multiple entries.

WMPTSE

Reply #132
Just to make it clear to others reading this thread... the "semi-colon" used in the WMP 10 GUI for multiple names in a field does not mean a semi-colon is actually stored.  It's used as a visual delimiter for multiple entries.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363195"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Or just to be more exact, grommet:

"; " ("semi-colon""blank") is used as the visual delimiter.

When directly editing the field (artist, composer, etc.) the trailing "blank" must be removed for WMP to recognise it as a delimeter. Otherwise it becomes a non-delimiter. WMP will reinsert the "blank" for visual display after recognizing the ";" as a delimiter.

Perverse - but it works!

WMPTSE

Reply #133
If it's not the case, this a bug, and i ask you to ensure that your files contain the meta-tags in a compatible format, all tags and headers well-formed, and beg you to report to us if WMPTSE continue to display it incorrectly.

MaB_fr

As an extra data point, if  I manually edit the composer tag in the file and import it into WMP with "Add metatag if not already present" UNchecked for the plug-in, the manually entered data is displayed correctly.

If I check the "Add metatag if not already present", the plug-in does not seem to recognise that the tag is present and dynamically obtains the info, displaying the correct info, but causing the tag to be overwritten with only the first composer.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363180"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This IS a "bug" and will be corrected in 0.9.9.3 (in fact i used IWMPMedia interfaces which doesn't support multi tagging, i'll use IWMPMedia3 interface in next releases...)

I ensure that performance won't decrease with the new code, and release it.

Thank you for the debugging !

MaB_fr

WMPTSE

Reply #134
This IS a "bug" and will be corrected in 0.9.9.3 (in fact i used IWMPMedia interfaces which doesn't support multi tagging, i'll use IWMPMedia3 interface in next releases...)

I ensure that performance won't decrease with the new code, and release it.

Thank you for the debugging !

MaB_fr
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363263"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, MaB, I'll try it out when released.

WMPTSE

Reply #135
Thanks, MaB, I'll try it out when released.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363273"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok, so, that's release news...

0.9.9.3 is out, with some interesting bits inside :

- the multi tagging "write" support should work (enjoy cvp)
- some memory leak erased (enjoy everyone)
- and debug read-only support for MPEG4 tags (enjoy iTunes users !!! ) you must do some work to activate it...see P.S.

Like it or not but always report

MaB_fr

P.S. : so for the MPEG4 folks (m4a, aac and much as long as it support iTunes tagging scheme)
To activate the support, you must go to the WMP Menu :
Tools -> Plug-in -> Options
In Category select "Background"
In Background select "WMPTagSupportExtender Plugin" and click the "Properties" button.
[!!! avoid to uncheck the checkbox in front of "WMPTagSupportExtender Plugin", you'll desactivate the whole plug in !!!]

Click the "Add Support..." button (below the "Supported Tag" list)

If available, choose the "MPEG4" Tag Type in the listbox.
If not, click "Add a tagtype". Then enter "MPEG4" (uppercase folks, beware !) and click the "OK" button.

In File Extension write the file extension you want to add support to (most case "m4a", the iTunes audio file extension )

Then click "Check support". Answer YES to every question you may be asked. And then click "OK".

Now, click the "..." button on the left of Tag Support DLL File Path, and browse your computer to reach the WMPTSE install directory.
You'll find "MPEG4TagSupport.dll", which is your new friend ! Select it, click "Open".

Now, the "Add" button is available and you can click it...

Restart WMP, and you have now a flaming new MPEG4 tagging support !!!

For the moment, the support is READ-ONLY.

As always, comment/suggestion & bug report are deeply welcome !

It should permit MPEG4 MCE support (to test MCE2005 users !!!)

WMPTSE

Reply #136

MaB - 0.9.9.3 Seems to be a bad install file at the moment

WMPTSE

Reply #137

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363633"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I must have got there too quickly - it's ok now.

The behaviour IS different. Now, if I search, then find Album info, then delete from library, then search for...

only the second artist appears in WMP.

The only COMPOSER tag I can see in the file is the second artist.

WMPTSE

Reply #138
Ok, started testing your new AAC/M4A support... pretty cool.  Do you have a list of what specific metadata atoms that are supported, and the mapping you've used?

You will definitely make some users very, very happy if this works well.  Before, they needed to run a hack to sync the iTunes database with the WMP database for AAC content.

WMPTSE

Reply #139
Absolutely briiliant in my use here with APE and MPC.

Thanks for your efforts on our behalf!

In the short term, I see no untoward memory issues.

WMPTSE

Reply #140

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363633"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I must have got there too quickly - it's ok now.

The behaviour IS different. Now, if I search, then find Album info, then delete from library, then search for...

only the second artist appears in WMP.

The only COMPOSER tag I can see in the file is the second artist.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363642"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

cvp, beware of "Find Album Info"...

The fact that it is working is a side effect. I've coded nothing for this to append (the power of plug-in and events )

I will investigate to found if it's a bug, but i'll need you to describe precisely the result you expect and the action you've taken to obtain it. And don't hesitate to be boring like "press the button Yeepi and then say Hello"...The more precise, the quicker i get to the point

GHammer > the memory leak was very tiny...expect a 20 Ko gain for ~500 tags added...but that's enhancement !

grommet > The tag "translation" for MP4/AAC is :
MP4 Atom => WMP Attribute
"@ART" => Author
"@nam" => Title
"@alb" => WM/AlbumTitle
"aART" => WM/AlbumArtist
"trkn" => WM/TrackNumber
"cprt" => Copyright
"desc" => MoreInfo
"@gen" => WM/Genre
"gnre" => WM/Genre
"@day" => WM/Year

Thanks everyone for the feedback

MaB_fr

P.S. : i'm on for a long trip in a far distant land (from where i am now) so expect delayed support until 23rd march (sorry, but life must go on  i'll say hello to beautifull New Zealand for you). And yes, i know there's net on NZ. But not yet Wifi in the top of Mt Cook

P.S. II : and that's why i'll release source of 0.9.9.3. But please, fork folks, keep your version unpublished until i come back, it will be appreciated to avoid mess world (hum...oft.p..nter...)

WMPTSE

Reply #141
cvp, beware of "Find Album Info"...

The fact that it is working is a side effect. I've coded nothing for this to append (the power of plug-in and events )

I will investigate to found if it's a bug, but i'll need you to describe precisely the result you expect and the action you've taken to obtain it. And don't hesitate to be boring like "press the button Yeepi and then say Hello"...The more precise, the quicker i get to the point
MaB_fr

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363702"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh! I don't understand the split in function between WMP and the plg-in, but in my (limited) experience with WMPTSE, that's the only time any action takes place.

First, I have "Auto-refresh when adding a file" checked, and "Add metatag if not already present" checked.

When I add the file, which has no "COMPOSER" tag, the file is positioned in the library (after a temporary existence as "unknown" artist)  correctly under the artist and album. At this point, the composer field in WMP is empty and will stay that way. I can also examine the file and confirm that no "COMPOSER" tag exists. No other tags have been added at this point either.

I had thought that this stage would cause the "add metatag if not present" processing to be performed. But it doesn't.

If I then use "Find Album info" on the track, and select the correct album from the set given to me, the correct album info is displayed by WMP, including the two composers (separated by "; ") in the composer field. At this stage I can examine the file and observe that several tags have been added, including a single "COMPOSER" tag. whose contents are the SECOND composer of the track.

Am I doing something wrong?

In any case, enjoy your trip. This can wait until you return. Thanks for all your efforts anyway.

WMPTSE

Reply #142
When adding WavPack files I get no tag info.
If I use the Content tab, I see only the file name and the comment.

The files are tagged properly (to foobar and The GodFather).
APE and MPC are doing fine.

Any ideas?

WMPTSE

Reply #143
First, I have "Auto-refresh when adding a file" checked, and "Add metatag if not already present" checked.

When I add the file, which has no "COMPOSER" tag, the file is positioned in the library (after a temporary existence as "unknown" artist)  correctly under the artist and album. At this point, the composer field in WMP is empty and will stay that way. I can also examine the file and confirm that no "COMPOSER" tag exists. No other tags have been added at this point either.

I had thought that this stage would cause the "add metatag if not present" processing to be performed. But it doesn't.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363711"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Maybe I should add, since I don't know the split in function, that the WMP "Library options" are set to "Retrieve additional information from the internet" and "Only add missing information".

Additionally, this file has all the normal WMA/ tags, including one "WMA/Composer"
tag.

WMPTSE

Reply #144
Hey All,

I've been monitoring this thread for awhile now, and I have been trying out each new release of WMPTSE in hopes it will solve my problem.
BTW, thanks MaB for the hard work for this plug-in! I realize you're enjoying NZ, but maybe someone else here has figured out my problem. 

Basically, I'm using FLAC files, tagged with The GodFather, and added to my library in MCE 2005.

I now understand that the engine for MCE 'My Music' is actually just WMP, and any files or albums that I add in WMP will appear in my MCE library.

Here is my problem: When I add my FLAC files (that have the 'Composer' field tagged) everything seems to work nicely in WMP. It recognizes the Artist, albums, composer and I'm happy. BUT, in MCE if I view music by Album, I can see each album name but it is missing the artist name and says 'unknown artist'. If I view music by Artist, the artists appear ok, but it can't find any albums, only individual songs.

For MCE users this is a big problem because if you have a large FLAC collection you most likely want to be able to view your music by artist, and then album.

Is this a problem with WMPTSE, or MCE, or something I'm doing? Any workarounds or fixes?

Thanks. Later,
Guy Smiley 

WMPTSE

Reply #145
Do you have "Album Artist" defined for your FLAC content?  I think the full Album display functionality in MCE requires this.

WMPTSE

Reply #146
Do you have "Album Artist" defined for your FLAC content?  I think the full Album display functionality in MCE requires this.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364609"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think there is some confusion as to what tag 'Album Artist' is. I read on another post somewhere that it is actually 'Composer' and somewhere else that said it is the tag 'Band' but I'd love for someone to clear this up. When using The GodFather tagging program, the only tagging options I have are listed below, and note: there is no tag for 'Band' or 'Album Artist'.

%R - Track;
%A - Artist;
%L - Album;
%T - Title;
%Y - Year;
%G - Genre;
%C - Comment;
%N - Language;
%O - Composer;
%P - Copyright;
%W - URL;
%E - Encoded by;
%XT - Tones;
%XS  - Styles;
%XM - Mood;
%XU - Situation;
%XR - Rating;
%XQ - Quality;
%XP - Tempo;
%XY - Type

As long as I tag Track, Album, Artist, and Composer, WMP with the WMPTSE seems to work fine. But MCE still has this weird problem with associating the albums with the artists.

Funny thing is in MCE if you view all albums, and select just one, it will know the name of the album, but not the artist. However, if you actually play one of the songs, and hit visualize, the info on the screen will appear showing the artist, album, and track name! So it seems like there is some weird glitch with MCE and the way it uses tags to associate album with artist, and WMPTSE at this point does not seem to address this issue.

However, I blame this solely on MCE as it is a pretty crappy interface for 'My Music' to begin with. There are tons of known bugs, and general stupidness however, it is the best HTPC Media Center software I have found yet, so I'd prefer to try to make it work with my FLAC collection, regardless of the general crappiness.

Again, if there are any suggestions as to a possible fix for this problem please let me know!

Thanks. Later,
Guy Smiley 

WMPTSE

Reply #147
I do believe that MCE requires the 'albumartist' tag to be present for it to properly associate albums. I have several albums that have this issue and after adding that info, they work fine. I have found that if I go through in WMP and 'find album info' for every song on an album then all is good in MCE. If that isn't done then it is all hit and miss with no rhyme or reason to why... this is a bug in MCE... i think.

WMPTSE

Reply #148
I do believe that MCE requires the 'albumartist' tag to be present for it to properly associate albums. I have several albums that have this issue and after adding that info, they work fine. I have found that if I go through in WMP and 'find album info' for every song on an album then all is good in MCE. If that isn't done then it is all hit and miss with no rhyme or reason to why... this is a bug in MCE... i think.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=364798"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the suggestion!

However, the problem for me is that a large portion of my music is from live recordings and clicking on 'find album info' retrievs nothing. Even if I try to edit this info right in WMP, I still see no tag titled 'albumartist'.

Is there a tagging program out there that clearly shows the 'albumartist' tag? I was under the impression that The GodFather was a pretty comprehensive tagging program, and no such tag exists within that program.

Thanks,
Guy Smiley 

WMPTSE

Reply #149
Sorry, no idea about The GodFather... but I think the tag in the FLAC file should be "ALBUMARTIST"  - I'm pretty sure you can manipulate it in foobar2000.

(As we've gone over numerous time, Album Artist is the overall Artist of the album/recording -- the one you want to organize by -- and Artist would contain the "contributing" artist(s) performing on the specific track.)

Anyway... In WMP 10, it's there... just add the column if you haven't set it to be visible.  (Right click on the column header and add it.)

No, "Album Artist" is not "Composer" -- and regarding "Band", in MP3... the TPE2 tag is often used as Album Artist... it's also known as "Band" in the ID3v2.3 pseudo-standard.