Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sony EX-71 broken (Read 5946 times) previous topic - next topic

Sony EX-71 broken

I just broke my EX-71    and need a replacement.

What would you guys recommend? They cost 50 € here in Austria. Should I stick with them or is there a better alternative in that range?

I've heared a lot of good stuff about the Shure e2. They would cost 75 € here. Can someone confirm that they're worth the 25 € price difference?

What about the Sony EX90?

BTW: I usually listen to Rock/Metal music

Sony EX-71 broken

Reply #1
I just broke my EX-71    and need a replacement.

What would you guys recommend? They cost 50 € here in Austria. Should I stick with them or is there a better alternative in that range?

I've heared a lot of good stuff about the Shure e2. They would cost 75 € here. Can someone confirm that they're worth the 25 € price difference?

If you don't want to spend a whole lot, you can get the Panasonic HJE-50 or [JVC?] HFX-55.  Both are comparable in sound quality to the ex71

Sony EX-71 broken

Reply #2
Money is not really an issue. I have no problem with spending more on the Shure e2 if they're really worth it.

I mostly care about sound quality and comfort. Are the alternatives you mentioned as comfortable as the EX71?

Sony EX-71 broken

Reply #3
I mostly care about sound quality and comfort. Are the alternatives you mentioned as comfortable as the EX71?

The design of Panasonic RP-HJE50 is almost identical to Sony's, except for the cord, which is more durable/robust. There is also Panasonic RP-HNJ50 with a built-in neck strap for portable players.

Sony EX-71 broken

Reply #4
I had the Shure e2c for a year, and was really happy with them. They are quite big though, and takes a little while getting used to. However I would really recommend them. Even so, I would rather buy the e3c that I have now. They are little more expensive, but to me the sound quality is a lot better.

But back to your question, I would absolutely recommend the e2c.

Sony EX-71 broken

Reply #5

Do you like the sound isolating property of the EX71? (which IMO is pretty good). I have the EX71, the Panasonic RP-HJE50, JVC FX55, JVC FX33 (marshmallow), and the Shure E2C. In terms of isolation, the shure E2C is the best, but the EX71 is pretty good also (next would be JVC FX33, then panasonic and FX55). For comfort, I like EX71 the best. the E2C has a unique wearability, which some might not like (it annoys me too). As for sound quality, I would give the shure a heads up (mainly due to better sound isolation). The EX71 has pretty bad SQ at first (very harsh highs), but it seems better later on after good burn-in. some head-fiers swear by the new (and cheap) JVC FX33. I find it good for the price too. Panasonic is a middle ground. I like its SQ, but sound isolation is not the best. I hate the FX55. It cannot stay in my ear, and the cable is far too long to be usable on the go.
Note: Only the EX71, panasonic, and FX55 are neck chain style. Shure, and FX33 are Y-style cord. Also, only the EX71 and panasonic are remote friendly short cord. Others have regular long cord, with the FX55 as the most ridiculous length. Cable quality, the Shure E2C will be the best, having the thickest cable.

For starters, I would get the cheap JVC FX33 first (unless if you must have short-cord remote friendly bud). Some users swear by it, and for the price (if it's cheap enough in your country), it's too good to pass up. (couple days after I read the head-fi posts, I went to my local bestbuy which used to have many FX33s in stock, they were cleaned out with only 1 green one left).
twitter.com/pika2000

Sony EX-71 broken

Reply #6
I have to admit that I've been a complete moron last night. My EX71 are NOT broken.
You know that they have a remote-friendly short cord woth a longer one attached to it? Well, the short one just jumped a little bit out of the connector (barely noticable). I noticed it after I checked them again today and they worked flawlessly after I reconnected them.

Thanks for your help. I guess if they break some day, I'll try the e2c.
I found an online shop that lists two different versions, the "Shure e2" and the "Shure e2c". This is just misspelling, right?

Sony EX-71 broken

Reply #7
Does anyone know where you can buy new rubber earpieces for the EX-71's as I have lost one of the ones that is best fit for me

Sony EX-71 broken

Reply #8
Thanks for your help. I guess if they break some day, I'll try the e2c.
I found an online shop that lists two different versions, the "Shure e2" and the "Shure e2c". This is just misspelling, right?

The "c" is the consumer model.  The non-"c" version is the version that ships, for example, with Shure's wireless in-ear monitor systems for on-stage monitoring.  With the E3 and E4, the "c" and non-"c" versions are different colors, but otherwise the same.  For the E2, I think that there is no difference at all.

Sony EX-71 broken

Reply #9
I bought the Shure e2c today out of curiosity and I can't fit them properly into my ear. The EX71 are the only in-ears I've haed so far and I loved their "rich" bass. With the e2, I don't hear any deep bass frequencies, like a cheap radio with a small speaker.

I guess the problem is that I didn't place them right, but how deep am I supposed to stick them inside my ears?

Sony EX-71 broken

Reply #10
Make sure you read the instructions. Yes, the headphones come with a manual. If you dont follow it, it will sound like cheap no-bass headphones. It took me a week of tweaking before finding the perfect spot. Try the different tips that comes with it till you find one that fits your ear canal. They are supposed to go pretty far into your ear, just make sure you attach the tip properly so that it doesnt get stuck when you take the phones out.

Give it some time and play with it. And make sure to RTFM  Hehe.

Sony EX-71 broken

Reply #11
Have the e3's. sound great but uncomfortable - I have small ears and no matter how I wear them, I can't keep them in for long without discomfort.

went back to the sony 71 & 51, as they are much more comfortable. I prefer the 51 sound over the 71.
EAC secure | FLAC  --best -V -b 4096 | LAME 3.97 -V0 -q0 -b32