Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Export MIDI with other SoundFont than the default one? (Read 1718 times) previous topic - next topic

Export MIDI with other SoundFont than the default one?

Hello everyone, I'm new here.

I'm trying to make something related with MIDI files, because I would like to use them with RPG Maker 2003, but I need to improve the sound quality of the files I have (because I don't want the players to hear the default soundfonts used for MIDI when playing this kind of games).

The thing is that I've ripped music from a GameBoy Advance game, and of course, it has the MIDI files along with a .sf2 file (the soundfont used in game). The only way I have to play the MIDI files with that SoundFont is using Foobar2000, and I can convert the music files to OGG, WAV, MP3 with the enconders. BUT, I would like, not to convert those music files, but Export them with the MIDI format instead, applying the SoundFont file ripped so Windows Media Player and the RPG Maker 2003 player can reproduce the files with the quality of the GBA game.

Could it be possible?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Export MIDI with other SoundFont than the default one?

Reply #1
You can't "apply" SoundFonts to MIDI files in any way that will work with Windows Media Player or RPG Maker 2003. MIDI, by design, does not specify a sample format. There is a format that supports DLS within the same file as the MIDI, but next to nothing supports it.

Reply #2
You can't "apply" SoundFonts to MIDI files in any way that will work with Windows Media Player or RPG Maker 2003. MIDI, by design, does not specify a sample format. There is a format that supports DLS within the same file as the MIDI, but next to nothing supports it.

And applying the DLS file to a MIDI could be possible? I have a few MIDI files with it's own DLS files extracted from a Nintendo DS game too. Could if be possible to apply the DLS to a MIDI and then play the same sounds of the Nintendo DS game in RPG Maker or Windows Media?

Reply #3
DLS is external to the MIDI file, and most players will not support it. There is DirectMusic, but it's rather flaky, and no longer supported.

Reply #4
DLS is external to the MIDI file, and most players will not support it. There is DirectMusic, but it's rather flaky, and no longer supported.

Thanks for the answers. It seems I need to find another way to reproduce good quality music in RPG Maker 2k3.