Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: dvd backups and loss of sound quality (Read 5541 times) previous topic - next topic

dvd backups and loss of sound quality

hi, i have a question that's been bugging me for a while. I have many DVD backups of lossless music and i wonder now if my dvd burner can't do good quality burning (it's a cheap burner) then maybe all of my music has lost sound quality as it has been copied from the hard drive to the dvd or maybe as the dvd's deteriorate with time this could have happened. I always check the integrity of the files with audiotester, but maybe sound quality is lost in a subtle way that is undetectable by file integrity tests. ¿Do these tests give me 100% certainty that my file stays the same as when it was originally ripped or should i also make md5 checksums? (i'm a bit obsessed with the quality of my backups  ) Sorry if my english is weird.

Reply #1
hi, i have a question that's been bugging me for a while. I have many DVD backups of lossless music and i wonder now if my dvd burner can't do good quality burning (it's a cheap burner) then maybe all of my music has lost sound quality as it has been copied from the hard drive to the dvd or maybe as the dvd's deteriorate with time this could have happened. I always check the integrity of the files with audiotester, but maybe sound quality is lost in a subtle way that is undetectable by file integrity tests. ¿Do these tests give me 100% certainty that my file stays the same as when it was originally ripped or should i also make md5 checksums? (i'm a bit obsessed with the quality of my backups  ) Sorry if my english is weird.

What are your backup files in? FLAC?

Reply #2

mostly FLAC but i have some APE's and WAVPACK's. Does this matter?

Reply #3
If your file can be read from the DVD with no errors, then there's no quality issue. Stop worrying yourself.

Reply #4

mostly FLAC but i have some APE's and WAVPACK's. Does this matter?

Not particularly.  I asked out of curiosity.  One common approach for the ultra-paranoid is to use the space savings of lossless compression to include PAR files on the backup DVD's.  You might like this solution?

Reply #5
yeah, sounds good, okay thanks for answering 

Reply #6
DVDisaster might reassure you with future backups.

Reply #9

If the DVD's can be read, there will be no loss of information, and there will be no downgrade of sound.

Paul

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein