Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar, mkv/mp4 files and chapters (Read 5993 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar, mkv/mp4 files and chapters

Hi everybody,

Let's assume I open a mkv/mp4 movie with chapters using foobar.
I will see separate audio tracks corresponding to each chapter (e.g. if the movie has 10 chapters I will see 10 audio tracks, each one of a length that is a fraction of the total movie length). This is the intended behaviour.

My question may seem odd, but can you think of a way/trick to "disregard" the chapters and see only ONE audio track of the total movie length, like there were no chapters in the mkv/mp4 file ?

Thanks.

Re: foobar, mkv/mp4 files and chapters

Reply #1
can you think of a way/trick to "disregard" the chapters and see only ONE audio track of the total movie length, like there were no chapters in the mkv/mp4 file ?
Use fb2k 1.4 (because in 1.4 you can set priority for decoders) with foo_input_ffmpeg with unchecked option "Support chapters" for decoding mkv and mp4.

Reply #2
Thanks ! That seems to work.

I have added the MKV and MP4 formats as they are not in the default format list for foo_input_ffmpeg.
All checkboxes for such formats are unchecked right now, including the "Support chapters" one.

Now I am a bit concerned about this part :

" Write tag types : Tag types to write to when the user attempts to edit tags on the file.
USE WITH CAUTION - this feature may damage your files if used incorrectly; enable only after checking file format specifications for the file format you're dealing with!
You do not need to enable this to read tags from your files, the component will attempt to read popular tag types (ID3v1/v2, APEv2) from your files regardless of this setting. "

So, how can I make sure that my MKV and MP4 files are not damaged by tag writing ? Should I check some of the Write Tag Types (ID3v2, ID3v1, APEv2) before attempting to write any tags ?

Reply #4
Don't tick any tag types in ffmpeg input as APE and ID3 tags are not valid for these formats. But leave foobar's native MP4 support enabled. It will be used for tag writing.

Reply #5
Thanks @Case, I won't tick anything  :) That being said, as long as I'm using m-TAGS, the ticking recommendations don't matter, right ?

I really love the idea of writing the tags to separate tag files : the movie files remain untouched !

Plus since I backup my movies to an external HDD, that means that for every tag modification, with m-TAGS only the tag files will be rewritten (instant backup), while without m-TAGS the movie files would have to be rewritten (a bunch of of GB to backup).

I truly love foobar's tagging and filtering capabilities (custom tags, Facets, etc.), and after years looking and trying nearly every movie management software in the market, foobar seems to see the closest one to my expectations. So I'm in the process of building a whole custom foobar configuration and theme dedicated to movie management.

To make it even better, I'd just need a component that would go fetch some additional info to TMDB / IMDB / etc., just like it can be done for audio files. I think it's technically feasible, so does such component exist ? It would be such a great add-on for foobar ! :D

Reply #6
... hello ? Any hints about such component, please ?...

Reply #7
Bump

Reply #8
How about foo_run? As far as I remember this one is able to fetch some data from the net. There are some 2 presets for google search, maybe this can be configured to help you.

Reply #9
Thanks @EpicForever . I had almost given up on this.
I'd still love to find a solution. TMDB has a public API (see here : https://developers.themoviedb.org/3/getting-started/introduction ), but I'm not sure it can be accessed by foo_run. It would probably require a specific component.
I'm not a developer, so if anybody is up to the challenge, just let me know and I'll help as much as I can. Thank you.