Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need help choosing my new headphone!!@ (Read 2765 times) previous topic - next topic

Need help choosing my new headphone!!@

Hi there,

I listen to various alternative rock, eletronic, and pop artists like Lana Del Rey, Grimes, the Cardigans, Metric, Portishead, Phantogram, Polica, Pvris, and the Asteroids Galaxy Tour. They all have a female vocalist. Please note that I'd prefer the less treble spike.

It doesn't matter if it's closed or open-back. I use headphone at home.

I've already tried:
Creative Aurvana Live (Sounds okay but too flat. I'd love to have more bass sounds. And it's uncomfortable for me. My ears hurt.)
Sony MDR-1A (I loved the powerful beat, but the vocals were somewhat letdown. In addition, it always make weird squeaky sound whenever I try to move my head a little.)

What I'm considering:
Senn HD569 or 598cs (Never tried theirs.. but they look so comfortable. esp. soft earpads.)
Bose Soundtrue AE2 (Some says its too boring)
ATH M50x (Looks promising but I heard some complains about the pain in the head.)
SRH-840 (the same the above)

I want to try something new and BETTER.
Any suggestion?  ;)

Re: Need help choosing my new headphone!!@

Reply #1
If you search this forum for "headphones", you'll find some discussions & recommendations.    I recommend that you go to the store and listen for yourself, and judge the comfort for yourself.  

Please note that I'd prefer the less treble spike.

....I'd love to have more bass sounds.
If you can't find the "perfect" headphone, don't be afraid to use EQ (or bass & treble controls).

It doesn't matter if it's closed or open-back. I use headphone at home.
Even if you don't need closed headphones, you may still have a preference for one or the other.

Reply #2
I own a pair of ATH M50s, and I love them.

Up front I'll say I've never tried any other high-end headphones. I bought the M50s after doing research, and considering several other options on the market. Since then, I've been using them for about the past 8 years, and they've held up pretty well. The fake leather on the earcups and the headband is just starting to flake off, so I'm thinking about replacing those pieces.

In my research, people said that the M50s have a flat response except for a slight bump in the lower frequencies. That's exactly what I want, and based on what you said about the Creative set, maybe that's what you want too.

I have a very large head (hat size 7 3/4), so when I first got them they were a bit tight, and got uncomfortable after an hour or so. After a few weeks or months though, they had loosened enough that I could wear them a full work day with only a little discomfort.

Reply #3
Thank you so much!!

Reply #4
I have both the ATH-M50 and the Sony MDR-V6.  Incidentally, there are aftermarket pads available for both which may alter the perception of sound a little (usually it will reduce the bass a little) but make them more comfortable for long periods.

I think I prefer the A-T phones a little for their mids, and they definitely are not as prominent on the high end as the Sony.  Other than that I find them both easy to listen to.  You can find the A-T refurbished for a lot less than list price, and they come with the full factory warranty.  If I had to choose, they would probably do the job.

Reply #5
As regards comfort, I know it is a very personal thing, but I've never worn a Sennheiser that wasn't comfortable.

Reply #6
I have the Senn 598 but I don't use them often enough to be confident giving an opinion on their sound. I spent a weekend with them a couple months back and remember thinking the sound was good enough though, and they were very comfortable... for what it's worth.