Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rapidshare.com ban is not appropriate (Read 6345 times) previous topic - next topic

Rapidshare.com ban is not appropriate

The company is a completely legal entity, a large corporation based in Switzerland. It's the largest hosting provider in the world. I use it every day without breaking any laws. Why ban it on HA? When you are actively engaging in ABX tests the boards own upload space is far too small, if you don't want to strip older threads.

Reply #1
The ban was placed so people use our own upload forums instead of annoying to use external services.
What exactly is it you're trying to upload that our own upload space is too small for?

Update: upload limits for all member groups have been bumped, developers and up have no restrictions at all now.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
The people in charge here can ban whatever they want to and they don't even owe their users an explanation.

And regarding Rapishare in particular, it's simply one of the annyoing sort among the 1-click-hosters. I'm glad it's banned, HA.org's own upload service is superior, because it has a counter and the uploaders can delete files easily, therefore have more control over it.

Reply #3
HA.org's own upload service is superior, because it has a counter and the uploaders can delete files easily, therefore have more control over it.

I don't know wether you don't know this experience, because you only post a picture of your Hi-Fi once in a while. I'm constantly short on HA upload space since I'm regularly and actively participating in ABX related discussions. I have only two options. Either I break old threads by removing referenced samples, which prevents people from repeating interesting analyses, just because they didn't catch a thread on time. Or I use different hosters. There maybe hosters with less intrusive 'free as in beer' appearance than Rapidshare.com, but they come and go like fishflies. I move several GB a month over share hosters and Rapidshare.com seems to be the most reliable for long term archival and performance wise. It knows a mode called Share Hosting, that I have used at HA, where downloaders don't get nag screens and can download with full speed (for free). After a while I switch that to free mode to save credits, but without breaking old threads completely.

Having more space on HA would be a better solution. But since this is a free site without ads I don't expect too much.

The ban was placed so people use our own upload forums instead of annoying to use external services.
What exactly is it you're trying to upload that our own upload space is too small for?

Recently, this and that. The best solution would be to provide all samples as delay corrected WAVs or FLACs, but then my upload limit would be already full for a single thread.

Update: upload limits for all member groups have been bumped, developers and up have no restrictions at all now.

Just saw the bump to 30 MB. Thanks, I'll use that until its full beginning with the next round of testing.

Reply #4
The company is a completely legal entity, a large corporation based in Switzerland. It's the largest hosting provider in the world. I use it every day without breaking any laws. Why ban it on HA? When you are actively engaging in ABX tests the boards own upload space is far too small, if you don't want to strip older threads.

I won't go into details, but I can't tell you how many illegal things have been linked to on rapidshare. I understand HA position on this one. I won't go into the details. The other thing is that it's entirely ad driven. It's quite a nuisance if you ask me. 
budding I.T professional

Reply #5
I won't go into details, but I can't tell you how many illegal things have been linked to on rapidshare.

Swiss jurisdiction is anything but liberal. If think you have information, that the hosting company is behaving illegally, you can report that to the police.*

The other thing is that it's entirely ad driven. It's quite a nuisance if you ask me. 

The download links I have provided in the mentioned thread are completely ad-free for everybody.

* In most European countries a transmission or storage capacity provider can't be hold liable until getting informed about any objectionable content. Rapidshare is pretty agressive about deleting reported content very quickly without questions asked.

Reply #6
> Rapidshare.com ban is not appropriate
> The company is a completely legal entity
> Rapidshare is pretty agressive about deleting reported content

They are very demanding and aggressive about Cookies and JS, and have compatibility problems (see http://anybrowser.org/campaign/) with some browsers, so not that a great thing

About legality, AFAIK the quota of piracy stuff is somewhere between ZERO (non-inclusive) and 100% (non-inclusive), I don't know it exactly ...

/\/\/\/\/\/\